UNICEF is the world's leading voice for and with children; per the UNICEF Strategic Plan 2018-2021, the organization's ability to deliver on its mission depends on assuring that this public voice is credible, consistent and fully aligned with the goals and priorities of the entire organization.
The Global Content Strategy (GCS) section within the Division of Communication plans, develops and produces UNICEF communication content - from flagship publications to photography and online videos - for key initiatives and priority campaigns. We manage the quality and consistency of communication content as a strategic asset across platforms. We facilitate, provide guidance, and build capacity in the development of efficient and effective communication content across the organization. The section's expertise encompasses strategic content planning, video and audio production, photo curation, writing, editing, fact-checking, proofreading, translation and graphic design, in line with UNICEF's communication and advocacy objectives.
How can you make a difference?
As part of the Global Content Strategy team, the Communication Manager - Head of Editorial leads in the development of an editorial content strategy, provides senior level editorial guidance, and ensures the smooth running of the Editorial unit. The Head of the Editorial is responsible for the development of consistently high-quality, credible written editorial content that effectively targets UNICEF partners, donors, the media and the general public, in support of our advocacy goals for children and young people.
- Provides timely editorial direction, guidance, research, and technical inputs to DOC, oed, and other divisions and offices as appropriate, to the development and production of flagship communication and advocacy content products.
- Drafts, edits, reviews and finalizes effective and accurate written communication materials (including contributions to UNICEF flagship reports and other publications, as well as statements, op-eds, scripts, key messages and related materials) for public dissemination by the Division of Communication;
- Works closely with Chief of Global Content Strategy and other section chiefs within DOC to ensure coordinated and strategic planning of key communication materials as part of a broader content strategy;
- Oversees editorial planning and coordination of advocacy publications and related content products, including but not limited to the UNICEF Annual Report and divisional publications. Conceptualizes themes and ensures consistency with UNICEF brand guidelines.
- Supervises editorial staff, consultants or temporary staff, as needed, for completion of these publications and products, including supervision of copy editing and proofreading;
- Produces high level, evidence-based and data-informed, editorial content, for delivery across products and platforms, in support of UNICEF's prioritized advocacy and communication objectives. Advises other Divisions and Offices in the writing and development of messages for use in reports and other communication products;
- Works closely with subject area professionals and experts across the organization to ensure that data and information included in public communication products are current and accurate;
- Supports consistency of flagship reports and other publications with existing UNICEF publication policies; and helps update normative guidance documents on editorial and related issues, including the UNICEF Style Book, in consultation with DOC and other staff;
- Supports development of a coherent content strategy to advance UNICEF's mandate, priorities and brand in a manner that ensures quality and enhances a coherent image of the organization; and contributes to the development within DOC of effective approaches to communicating on strategic priorities;
- Performs other writing, editing and advisory duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Advanced university degree in journalism, communication, international relations or other relevant field, or university degree with equivalent experience.
- At least 8 years of proven experience in communication, media, journalism, public information, writing, editing, speech writing or similar disciplines, with at least 5 years at a senior level in the public, private or non-profit sector.
- Proven management and supervisory skills, and an ability to provide clear direction are important.
- Superior writing skills, with demonstrated experience in producing powerful and compelling content for public audiences on a wide range of issues, including technical subjects and themes.
- Experience in the development and implementation of editorial content strategy an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- High level of understanding of world affairs, current events, international development and human rights issues.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Highest level of fluency in written and spoken English is required. Working knowledge of French, Spanish or other UN official language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org