Regions Refocus, an international organization working on progressive and feminist economic policy, is seeking a full-time Media and Communications (Senior) Associate. The position will start March 2020 at our New York office, or remotely if necessary.
About Regions Refocus
Regions Refocus builds cross-regional, cross-movement solidarity in the struggle for progressive and feminist economic policy. We spark alliances and strengthen analysis in order to challenge the dominant, neoliberal development framework. Our work includes collaborating on policy workshops, organizing collective research projects, growing advocacy coalitions, and more.
You will join a small, dynamic team and lead/support the construction of a full-fledged media operations for Regions Refocus, and the expansion of our existing communications infrastructure. Our content focuses on a range of political issues in the realm of progressive and feminist economic policy, often in a variety of formats, such as reports, policy briefs, articles, videos, and at times popular art.
- Construct a media strategy to bolster Regions Refocus’ programmatic work.
- Cultivate relationships with new and existing media contacts.
- Organize publication and coverage of content and events in:
- National and regional outlets in the global South (especially Africa)
- Publications in the development policy sphere
- Mainstream global media outlets
- Alternative press, progressive blogs, independent media, etc.
- Draft and promote press releases for workshops, publication launches, political actions, etc.
- Generate engaging and creative tools to promote the work of Regions Refocus and our allies, including videos, animation, policy infographics, events, and more.
- Oversee and grow social media presence (especially Twitter).
- Manage postings on listservs, Google groups, Facebook groups, etc.
- Draft updates to our email list subscribers (e.g. quarterly updates).
- Maintain and help migrate our contact database.
- Maintain the new Regions Refocus website (to be launched).
- Join programming discussions and strategic planning to share insights.
- Support program work as needed during critical periods (e.g. copyediting).
We are open to discussing different configurations depending on your experience and interests, such as more programming work.
We recognize the variety of valuable experience candidates may bring. We encourage anyone who aligns with the mission of Regions Refocus to apply. Examples of the qualities we are looking for include:
- Experience in media and communications work, such as:
- Building relationships with media outlets, especially in the global South
- Amplifying policy analysis and generating exposure
- Multimedia skills including video editing, graphic design, etc.
- Growing social media presence, especially on development policy issues
- Strong interest in, and knowledge of, global progressive politics. An understanding of global development, North-South relations, neo-colonialism, etc. is especially relevant.
- Must be able to quickly grasp progressive analysis from a variety of fields. The content you will be working with pulls from traditions including South feminism, Marxism, heterodox economics, and more.
- Your background in these issues could range from grassroots activist work, previous NGO experience, a BA or MA in a relevant field (development, international relations, etc.), or personal interest.
- Any background in economic and ecological/climate justice is a particular plus and should be highlighted in your application.
- A fit with the work style of Regions Refocus:
- Friendly demeanor and collaborative spirit, able to both give and receive feedback openly
- High degree of comfort in progressive, feminist, multicultural settings.
- Ability to multitask and switch between projects.
- Comfortable with digital work tools including Google Drive, Clickup, etc.
- Language abilities, especially Arabic, French, or Spanish.
Daily work in our New York City office is preferred, but remote full-time work with regular in-person contact is also a possibility depending on the candidate. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship for this role, so a valid and up-to-date authorization to work in the United States is required if you plan to work in our New York office.
Please email with your resume and a brief cover letter (3-5 paragraphs) detailing your relevant qualifications and why you’d like to work with Regions Refocus.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org