Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director, the Deputy Regional Director provides support to Country and Project Offices and programmes to translate UN Women's strategic plans into effective development initiatives and results and build strong partnerships. The Deputy Regional Director is responsible for effective coordination and integration of gender perspectives in UN Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF) to promote coherence in the UN system's work on gender equality and the empowerment of women with colleagues in UN organizations. The incumbent is responsible for managing the strategic development of the portfolio and oversight of programme implementation in the project offices to ensure delivery of results as planned in UN Women’s Strategic Plan, regional strategies and accountability framework and is responsible for providing specialized technical and strategic support to the project offices in the West and Central Africa region in managing all aspects of program management and related activities in the office/region. This role requires experience and in-depth understanding of gender and development issues in the West and Central Africa region as well as programme and management expertise.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide advisory and specialized strategic support to the Regional Director and Regional Office (RO):
- Advise, guide, and provide substantive inputs to the regional strategy and to the formulation of relevant, high quality, results-based and rights-based country programmes and projects;
- Prepare policy documents, briefs and other strategic papers/materials for use in the development and presentation of a coherent regional strategy;
- Assess the country level and sub-regional level annual work plans and present and make recommendations and conclusions to assist in development planning;
- Serve as a member of the RO senior management team.
Manage programme management and monitoring of the projects/programmes in the region:
- Plan, implement, and monitor the Regional Office programme portfolio;
- Manage and monitor the development of systems, processes and mechanisms to support effective programme planning, implementation, monitoring and timely progress reporting; Finalize reports for HQ on progress of programme implementation;
- Oversee the implementation of regional programmes;
- Lead the monitoring of progress on mutually agreed results frameworks and performance indicators and timely action/decision and/or provide timely support; Identify areas that may require improvement and capture best practices/lessons learned;
- Lead the process of gathering information and prepare reports for HQ on progress of programme implementation, assess results and identify areas for the Regional Director's action and/or decision;
- Manage the timely allocation of funds to offices in the region. Monitor and ensure the appropriate utilization of resources approved and allocated to regional programmes and projects;
- Review and evaluate proposals submitted to the RO and finalize donor proposals and reports.
Oversee the Regional Office’s operations:
- Oversee the operational services and ensure delivery of- financial, procurement and IT services-- of UN Women regional and country programmes and projects;
- Ensure compliance of all services according to rules, regulations, processes and procedures and UN Women accountability framework;
- Provide technical support to preparation of the regional budget preparation and submission process.
Manage staff and finance:
- Review annual work plans and budgets to ensure that they are aligned to Strategic Plan and corporate priorities ensuring engagement of staff and adequate assignment of financial and human resources towards the effective and efficient achievement of these plans;
- Manage the performance of staff under his/her supervision; provide managerial direction, guidance and leadership to staff and provide performance feedback and coaching to staff under supervision;
- Ensure that supervised teams follow UN security policies and procedures, personnel and their dependents are not exposed to unacceptable risks and all measures are taken to prevent or mitigate risk.
Advocate for UN Women’s mandate and lead UN Inter-Agency coordination and intergovernmental support:
- Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDSDCF development planning of programmes;
- Finalize reports for presentation to inter-governmental bodies such as the Commission on the Status of Women, Economic and Social Council, the General Assembly and other policy-making organs;
- Provide technical inputs and support to the Regional Director and Country Representatives in establishing and maintaining effective consultations with governments, partners, stakeholders and donors to achieve active collaboration, cooperation and alliances on program development and implementation, resource mobilization and sustained partnerships;
- Represent UN Women in UNCTs in countries where UN Women has a programme presence as required;
- Act as Officer in Charge and represent Regional Director when requested.
Provide strategic partnership building and resource mobilization strategies support to the Regional Director:
- Provide strategic support to the development of regional resource mobilization efforts to the RO and COs as necessary;
- Review donor reports from COs for quality assurance and compliance with commitment met and accountability framework established and to ensure that donors are duly informed on a timely basis.
Participate in knowledge management and capacity building efforts:
- Ensure regular assessments of regional and country strategic and implementation plans. Identify lessons learned and areas of emphasis to guide programme improvements and future strategic development plan;
- Manage the process of collecting and sharing lessons learned on gender equality and women's empowerment to build knowledge and capacity of partners and stakeholders;
- Design and implement capacity building training activities to enhance skills and knowledge in Results Based Management, results based budgeting, and systematic quality assurance.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely achievement of programme results in line with Regional Strategy and UN Women Strategic Plan;
- Quality and timely advice to the Regional Director and Country Representatives;
- Timely and effective programme planning, implementation, monitoring and timely progress reporting;
- Performance of staff, enabling work environment created;
- Regional Operations performance against set plans and standards, and issues are reported in a timely manner, Well-functioning operation services;
- Timely and quality reporting to HQ;
- Timely, regular and quality knowledge management initiatives initiation and information dissemination.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches;
- Strong leadership skills, ability to great an enabling work environment;
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them;
- Demonstrated political acumen and technical capacity in representing the organization effectively in national and international fora to advocate and to promote organizational priorities, initiatives;
- Knowledge of west and Central Africa;
- Knowledge of UN system.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in a development-related area, including economics, public policy or other social science fields is required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- A project/programme management certification (such as PMP®, PRINCE2®, or MSP®) would be an added advantage.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible development experience that combines intellectual, strategic and managerial leadership in development programmes some of which should be in the area of gender equality, at the international level, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds, Programs, or UN Mission;
- Experience with managing, supporting and overseeing development policy-making, programme and operations management, resource mobilization and partnership creation;
- Experience in leading a team.
- Fluency in English and French is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN working language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org