In the framework of FAO’s mandate, Strategic Objectives, agreed Organizational results and technical, operational and administrative corporate procedures and policies, the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative (ADG/RR) is the senior representative of the Director-General in the region and represents FAO vis-à-vis region-wide institutions and media. He/she is responsible for developing, promoting and overseeing FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture, rural development and agricultural innovation; the implementation of approved programmes/projects related to regional priorities; addressing region-wide food security, agriculture and rural development issues; leading the Regional Office in the performance of its functions. He/she leads and supervises members of the Regional Management Team composed of the Deputy Regional Representative, the Regional Programme Leader and Subregional Coordinator, as well as provides guidance on regional priorities to all FAO offices and units in the region and exerts direct supervision over Regional Office staff.
The ADG/RR for Asia and the Pacific works under the guidance of, and reports to, the Director-General of FAO through the Deputy Director-General. He/she receives advice from, and provides advice to, Heads of FAO’s headquarters’ departments and independent offices, as well as the Subregional Coordinator and FAO Country Representatives in Asia and the Pacific. In particular, the ADG/RR, RAP will:
- advocate the Organization’s policy positions and communicate FAO’s messages at regional level;
- support, in consultation with region-wide organizations, the regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture, rural development and agricultural innovation, and facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships;
- assure, in collaboration with departments and offices at headquarters, the due application of FAO’s corporate procedures, standards and policies in the region;
- support monitoring of regional events and medium- and long-term perspectives, knowledge and information exchange, development of regional norms, standards, policy and regulatory frameworks, capacity development, resource mobilization, aid coordination and investments in food security, nutrition and agriculture, including joint United Nations approaches;
- lead the prioritization of FAO’s work at regional level in close consultation with FAO units as well as region-wide organizations;
- oversee and monitor FAO’s collaboration with its member countries and institutional partners in the region, in accordance with agreed priorities, approved programme/budgets, Strategic Objectives and corporate policies;
- oversee and facilitate prioritization and monitoring of FAO’s work by the Regional Programme Leader and the Subregional Coordinator, in consultation, as necessary, with his/her respective counterpart organizations and governments;
- lead FAO’s resource mobilization to support programmes at regional, subregional and country levels;
- lead the region’s contribution to FAO’s programming and budgeting processes and help ensure coherence between global, regional, subregional and country priorities and related budgetary allocations;
- manage the regional Technical Cooperation Programme allocation;
- provide operational support to FAO Country Representatives on emergency and rehabilitation operations and help manage operations in countries where operational capacity is not adequate; be accountable for assuring an effective and enabling environment in which the Organization can respond effectively, and in a timely manner, to food and agricultural threats and emergencies at country, subregional and regional levels;
- lead the organization of FAO’s Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific and oversee the follow-up to its recommendations;
- support other bodies or intergovernmental meetings convened by FAO at regional level;
- oversee the work of FAO Country Offices within the region, and ensure provision of administrative support services;
- lead and manage the Regional Office by managing its budgetary allotments; supervising its staff; making efficient and effective internal organizational arrangements; ensuring the effective application of corporate policies and administrative procedures on, inter alia, procurement, HR management, accounting and field operations; leading the Regional Office in the development and implementation of the field programme at regional level; and ensuring the security, safety and welfare of staff and eligible dependants, as well as the protection of the Organization’s assets, property and information;
- oversee the management of risk in all units within area of command, ensuring that any significant control weaknesses be escalated and that managers throughout area of command, including FAORs, observe internal control policies and procedures.
- Advanced university degree in a field related to the work of the Organization;
- Extensive leadership and managerial/administrative experience;
- Demonstrated professional competence and management/strategic leadership of a high level;
- Familiarity with results-based management approaches and ability to manage programmes and budget to achieve progress towards high impact results that respond to client needs;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the field of agricultural rural development and innovation;
- Knowledge of regional government key players in the area of agricultural development;
- Familiarity with regional agricultural networks;
- Ability to lead and work effectively with a diverse team of people of different national and cultural backgrounds in an international setting;
- Good resource mobilization and partnership development skills;
- Working knowledge of English and a limited knowledge of one of the other FAO official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
Results focus: Takes accountability for the delivery of agreed results in service of FAO’s strategic framework - Leading, engaging and empowering others: Coordinates, directs, facilitates and recognizes team efforts; creates an enabling environment and assists others to realize and develop their potential - Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication - Partnering and Advocating: Promotes ideas and develops partnerships to advance the Organization’s work - Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement: Continually seeks to improve the knowledge, skills and work processes of oneself and others - Strategic thinking: Makes informed and coherent decisions aligned with broader goals and strategies.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org