The Senior Technical Advisor for Food Security is a highly experienced technical specialist serving as an integral part of PCI’s Food Nutrition & Livelihoods Security (FNLS) team within our Washington, DC office. This position will provide technical leadership in food security and resilience program design and implementation with a focus on helping small-holder farmer households increase their resilience to shocks through improved food availability and income/asset building. This position will work closely with the Sr. Director of FNLS to contribute to the development of PCI’s food security technical strategy and will support the development of signature PCI market-based food security & livelihoods approaches that will help establish the organization as a thought leader and increase its competitiveness in new business opportunities. This position also supports field-based project design and implementation.
The Senior Technical Advisor will collaborate with colleagues across PCI’s Technical Leadership and Support Team (TLST): Health, Humanitarian Assistance & Resilience, and Gender Equity and the Empowerment of Women and Girls and with country teams to design new programs and integrated approaches.
The Senior Technical Advisor will play a substantial role in supporting new business development in one or more areas related to building food and nutrition security through: increased agricultural production, nutrition sensitive approaches, increasing farm income, improving access to markets & value chains, developing non-farm incomes and building household assets. Special emphasis will be placed on women’s access and inclusion in asset building and climate smart agriculture approaches.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Advance PCI’s Food Security Technical Expertise
- Contribute to PCI’s continuing development of our Food Security and Resilience strategies and technical approaches;
- Have technical leadership in one or more of PCI’s food security & resilience technical focus areas;
- Support development of PCI’s approach to gender responsive climate smart agriculture approaches;
- Write, publish and present PCI’s food security & resilience building market-based agriculture and livelihood development approaches and learnings;
- Expand PCI’s Food Security & Resilience networks, promote the organizations visibility within these areas, and represent PCI in relevant technical communities and public forums
Support Ongoing Programs
- Provide technical and program performance management support to current & new food security programs with a focus on food and nutritional security through resilience building approaches involving market-linked, inclusive climate smart and nutrition sensitive agriculture approaches and livelihoods development;
- Support projects in layering and sequencing food and nutrition security activities to enhance effective resilience building;
- In collaboration with PCI’s M&E Unit, develop performance indicators and targets for livelihood programming and support PCI to conduct assessments to monitor progress; and provide technical input to course correct where needed to ensure achievement of targets;
New Business Development
- Collaborate with PCI’s New Business Development Unit in seeking new funding opportunities with USAID, international donors and private sources/foundations;
- Actively develop technical networks and partnerships for new business development and regularly provide new opportunity leads;
- Serve as the Technical Lead in proposal development in relevant Food Security and Resilience opportunities;
- Serve as a Technical Contributor in new proposal development having relevant Food Security and Resilience components.
Position Parameters/Special Responsibilities Required:
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (estimated 30% LOE per year);
- Participate in PCI’s innovation efforts and in teams on innovation initiatives;
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree or higher in agriculture, economics, marketing, business, or relevant areas in international development or social sciences;
- Minimum of 9+ years of experience working in international development with work in two or more of the following areas: food security, resilience, climate smart agriculture, nutrition sensitive agriculture, market systems and/or livelihoods development;
- Demonstrated skills and success in new business development;
- Direct experience in food security resilience building programs design, development and implementation targeting highly vulnerable rural communities;
- Experience and sincere interest in gender inclusive & responsive development approaches;
- Experience in mentoring and training in market-based approaches for international development, collaborating with private sector actors, government and civil society groups, and program implementation with a market-based focus;
- Ability to conduct agricultural market assessments identifying potential development opportunities or distortions resulting from cash or commodity transfers;
- Knowledge and experience with cash transfers highly desirable.
- Fluency in Spanish is highly preferable and will directly contribute to applicant success;
- Strong English language writing and communication skills, including documentation of program results, case studies and marketing/positioning materials; funding proposals; and donor reports;
- Experience working with private and US Government donors is preferable.
- A passion for the mission and values of PCI
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org