The individual will join an Executive Office team responsible for expanding external audiences, telling NDI success stories and increasing support for the organization. The Manager is responsible for expanding outreach for NDI, particularly on Capitol Hill, and with other external audiences. This position involves creating and editing content for the NDI website, blog and social media accounts. The Manager will provide training and support on external outreach and communications to NDI teams in Washington, DC and in the field.
- Under the leadership of the Director, the Manager highlights for donors and external audiences the relevance of NDI in confronting today’s international governance problems, the importance of democracy assistance and the work of our partners in over seventy countries;
- Expands congressional outreach with Members of Congress and staff to increase support and understanding of NDI’s role in promoting international democracy, credible and fair elections, and open and transparent governance;
- Serves as liaison with NDI teams for Hill meetings and events;
- Leads on outreach for visiting field staff, members of parliament and democracy partners;
- Organizes congressional panels and events to demonstrate NDI impact;
- Monitors legislation, congressional hearings and markups on democracy assistance, human rights and foreign policy issues;
- Gathers relevant NDI information to share with Hill audiences and formulates strategies that achieve policy outcomes in support of democracy assistance;
- Assists in drafting congressional testimony for NDI experts;
- Deepens and expands existing networks and coalitions that work together to support democracy assistance;
- Manages contact databases to ensure regular and complete outreach to external audiences.
Content Creation and Management
- Creates and edits content for the NDI website, blog and social media accounts;
- Contributes to the writing and design of e-newsletters, social media outreach and other external communications strategies with a goal of substantially increasing subscriptions and followers;
- Assists in the development of videos and podcasts to highlight NDI’s work with democracy partners around the world;
- Designs and conducts virtual and in-person training to NDI staff and local partners on strategy and best practices for outreach and external communications in support of the Institute’s mission and successes;
- Monitors information sources, including think tanks, traditional media, blogs and social media networks, for opportunities to highlight NDI’s work;
- Oversees special projects.
Strategic Planning and Leadership
- Assists the organization in maintaining persistent and persuasive written and verbal communication to educate on legislative policies that promote democracy assistance;
- Develops long-term education and communications strategies to support, protect, and advance the mission of the organization;
- Works with NDI teams to develop strategic plans on external outreach and communications both in Washington DC and the field;
- Incorporates best practices on external outreach and newest media trends into NDI’s outreach strategies;
- Represents the Institute as a thought leader to external audiences.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change based on organization needs.
This position does NOT have direct reports.
- Bachelor’s degree required; a combination of experience and education in lieu of degree will be considered.
- Minimum of (10) years of experience implementing government relations and communication strategies;
- Congressional experience or prior engagement with the U.S. Congress;
- International relations and development experience, including knowledge of NDI’s democracy work, a plus;
- Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills;
- Proven track record in rapidly expanding online outreach through social media, email marketing, online advertising and fundraising preferred;
- Experience and skills working with:
- Contact management systems such as Salesforce and Salsa;
- Google tools Software Program;
- Microsoft Office;
- Data mining software such as Google Analytics.