A unique opportunity to combine your marketing and communication skills with an interest in global issues at Oregon's premier international affairs organization. The role of Marketing and Communications Coordinator contributes to our organizational mission of "connecting Oregonians to the world."
WHO YOU ARE: A GREAT communicator and project manager with strong marketing instincts and background. You are adept at writing compelling brand copy, implementing communication plans and strategies, marketing events, and forging strong media relationships with print, digital, radio and TV outlets. You know your way around websites and databases and have experience managing content across multiple social media platforms. You are an organized, highly motivated self-starter who works well in fast-paced, dynamic environment to capture the holistic impact of our programs. You can be flexible in your workday to help meet the needs of the overall organization. You are passionate about the larger world. You think the mission of WorldOregon is important for the larger community and you are excited to help tell that story in the community.
WHO WE ARE: Founded in 1950, WorldOregon, formerly known as the World Affairs Council of Oregon, is the oldest nonpartisan, nonprofit international affairs organization in Oregon that connects Oregonians to the world. WorldOregon has 12 employees, many volunteers, and three main areas of activity: Public Programs (3-6 public programs per month on global issues and ideas including the International Speakers Series); Global Classroom (K-12 education program and youth and teacher training; 10,000+ kids served annually); and the International Visitor & Training Program (organizes short-term visits for over 500 adult and 50 youth emerging leaders from over 100 countries each year). Check our website at www.worldoregon.org.
WHAT YOU’LL DO: JOB DESCRIPTION
Title: Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Type of Position: Full-time Employee (up to 37.50 hours per week; additional hours with pre-approval); Non-exempt; Reports to Development Director
Hourly Pay Rate $15-17 per hour, depending on experience
Benefits: WorldOregon offers a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision insurance, holidays, sick leave, vacation, simple IRA, life insurance and TriMet pass
Position Summary/Mission: To create and implement marketing and communication strategies and to cultivate a recognizable brand that reflects WorldOregon’s mission and values, and helps grow our community of members and supporters.
Marketing /Communications: Coordinate the production of compelling and professional stories and collateral
· Develop marketing materials including flyers, brochures, and SWAG which support WorldOregon brand consistency and messaging
· Assist Development Director and Development Manager with email and direct mail campaigns with current and prospective members and donors, as well as corporate sponsorship options.
· Create communications plan which holistically captures the needs and mission of our three programs
· Maximize media coverage, community buzz, and series ticket sales for the annual International Speaker Series
· Coordinate the creation and dissemination of impact stories, promotions, and press releases
· Create partnerships with local media stakeholders to take advantage of more cost effective advertising opportunities
· Promote WorldOregon as the “go to” organization for all things international in Oregon
Website and Social Media: Maintain and constantly improve website working with technical contractor, ensuring that content and photos are dynamic, up to the minute, and informative
· Continually analyze and modify the website to improve navigability and user experience
· Work with each department to improve departmental pages (Development, Global Classroom, Global Conversations, and International Visitor Programs)
· Assist/train staff to enable them to update their own content
· Ensure the proper functionality of all links, shopping carts, etc.
· Coordinate all social media outreach: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Flickr, etc to grow our online media presence
· Manage permissions for use of video/photo/quotations etc.
· Serve as a backup for the President and Development Director to complete administrative tasks as needed
Required skills and attributes
· EXCELLENT oral and written communication skills, including a strong attention to detail
· Bachelor’s degree; journalism/communications or marketing preferred
· 2-4 years of work experience in journalism, communications, or marketing essential
· Excellent time management and organizational skills
· Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite (Word/Excel/PowerPoint), Adobe Suite (Photoshop/InDesign), MailChimp (Email marketing), and web design and database (NationBuilder experience a plus)
· Self-starter; team player with sense of humor and strong work ethic
· Interest in international issues and commitment to the mission of WorldOregon
To apply, please do the following:
1. Write a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the Marketing & Communications Coordinator position.
2. Include a current resume with a brief portfolio of projects demonstrating your competency in the required areas, including a writing sample.
3. List of three to five references, including a recent supervisor or someone familiar with your work
4. Email or mail materials to the addresses below; no telephone calls, please.
Marketing & Communications Manager Search
1207 SW Broadway, Suite 300
Portland, OR 97205