The ECF’s Strategic Communications Team is the outreach unit of the Foundation. The team acts as a centre of expertise on climate communications and seeks to help create more political, media and public endorsement for action on climate change at an international level. The team delivers strategic advice, communications and outreach services to ECF programmes and grantees and helps build strategic communications capacity in the wider climate community.
The ECF’s Strategic Communications Team currently accepts applications for an enthusiastic and highly driven individual to join its team as an intern and gain professional experience in strategic climate communications.
This is an exciting opportunity for a graduate / career starter with a sincere interest in climate and energy issues and the ambition to make a difference, to play an active role in helping speed up the low carbon transition and avoid the worst impacts of global climate change.
Reporting to the Digital Associate, Strategic Communications, the Strategic Communications Intern will be responsible for:
- Working with the team to support the communications - and media needs of the ECF and the wider climate community;
- Assisting the ECF’s strategic communications network in its day-to-day work and providing support to network colleagues;
- Contributing to the delivery of outreach strategies that help build political, media and public endorsement for action on climate change at international, national and sectoral level;
- Making full use of new media tools to disseminate messages and raise awareness of ECF-supported initiatives and outputs;
- Monitoring the news agenda and public debates;
- Monitoring and reporting of network activities;
- Maintenance and development of in-house media - and outreach databases;
- For the right candidate there will be a possibility to deepen social and digital media as well as graphic design skills to raise awareness of the network’s strategic communications projects;
- Other ad hoc outreach, research and administrative tasks.
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the ECF;
- Fast-learning self-starter comfortable to work in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work across time zones, phone/video conferencing, etc.;
- Background in the fields of communications, public relations, energy or environmental issues/international affairs;
- Media and social media-savvy, experience in writing / editing is a plus;
- The ability to think analytically and research effectively;
- Up to speed with online communication tools and social media;
- Experience in graphic design and video editing software welcome;
- Enthusiasm to help frame public and media debates around the issue of climate change;
- Superior English language skills, both written and verbal; knowledge of other languages welcome;
- Flexible, with the ability to work independently and in a team;
- Appreciation of the vital role of administrative tasks;
- The disposition to work with colleagues in a high-trust international community of peers with a spirit of generosity and mutual support;
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change.