We are looking for a person who: is passionate, motivated, creative, cooperative, and committed and would like to gain valuable work experience and contribute to the work of a confederation of NGOs whose vision is of a world in which poverty and inequality have been ended; in which decisions are based on social justice, gender equality and upon our responsibility to future generations; where every person has the right to live in dignity, sustainably, on an equal basis, free from poverty.
As a trainee, you will support CONCORD’s Policy and Advocacy work. You will work within our Policy and Advocacy team under the supervision of two Policy and Advocacy Coordinators.
Main learning objectives:
- You will be able to acquire a good understanding of decision-making processes in the EU institutions as well as the ways of working in an EU NGO confederation, bringing together networks and national platforms from across the European Union;
- You will be able to obtain knowledge about EU development policies in general;
- You will be able to build your policy analysis and advocacy skills, including drafting relevant documents, enhancing the engagement of members in order to develop and advocate for CONCORD’s positions, monitoring EU institutional policy processes, drafting minutes of meetings, and learn about the political process;
- You will be able to enhance your coordination skills, process management skills and organisational skills;
- All while working in an international, multicultural environment.
Main responsibilities and tasks:
The role involves supporting the work related to the implementation of CONCORD’s policy and advocacy work in terms of monitoring key policy processes and coordinating our relevant members in the collective policy and advocacy work vi-à-vis the different EU institutions. Assist with the preparation of communication material, e.g. regular newsletters. The trainee will divide her/his tasks between 2 Coordinators working approximately 2,5 days/week with each Coordinator.
- University Degree or equivalent in development studies, political science, EU or other relevant studies.
- Knowledge of the functioning of the European Union institutions and EU policy-making processes;
- Good spoken and written English.
- Ability to organize one’s own work and manage one’s own time;
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with others and towards shared objectives;
- Ability to work under pressure and to achieve tight deadlines;
- Analytical and problem solving skills;
- Capacity to research, synthesize and analyse information;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Eager to take initiative;
- Good spoken and written French or other European languages;
- Strong computer skills.