The Co-Director of the Rule of Law Index will report directly to the Chief Research Officer, and will co-manage the planning and implementation of the Rule of Law Index team's global, thematic, and country-specific research projects. In consultation with the Chief Research Officer and the other Co-Director of the Rule of Law Index, this position will lead the team through project planning and data collection processes, and will manage the production of final research products and outputs. Other key duties include managing staff, budgets, and project schedules, in addition to serving as a liaison with other WJP departments, research partners, donors, and other external stakeholders. The main responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the production of country-specific reports highlighting Rule of Law Index data
- Co-manage the primary data collection process for the General Population Poll (GPP)/Qualified Respondents' Questionnaire (QRQ) dataset in 128 countries and jurisdictions;
- Support all aspects of the data analysis, score computation, writing, design, and production of the Rule of Law Index annual report series;
- Present Rule of Law Index findings to various groups and audiences, and participate in joint endeavors and working groups to contribute to the maintenance and growth of the WJP's considerable network of partners around the globe;
- Contribute to WJP fundraising efforts by identifying relevant funding opportunities, drafting concept notes and proposals, developing budgets, and managing donor relationships;
- Co-manage the Rule of Law Index team; and
- Participate in staff recruitment, as necessary.
- 7+ years of experience in the rule of law field or other relevant fields;
- Superior research and analytical skills, and ability to interpret and analyze data and complex documents;
- Experience producing data-driven reports and research products for external audiences and funders;
- Experience presenting and communicating rule of law issues to a wide variety of audiences;
- Knowledge of survey research methods;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including appropriate supervisory and management methodologies;
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Proven capacity for strategic thinking and planning;
- Interest in programmatic-related fundraising;
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, or other foreign language a plus;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Stata, the Adobe Creative Suite, CRMs, or survey software a plus.
- Encourages and practices critical thinking and creative problem solving;
- Is self-reflective and empathic;
- Recognizes the influence of workplace relationships on outcomes and results;
- Maintains a respectful and accepting approach to others;
- Awareness of the influence of the larger context on individual behavior; and
- Collaboratively and creatively supports the work efforts of colleagues at all levels and in all areas of the organization.
- Master's Degree or Ph.D. in Public Policy, Political Science, International Relations, Economics, or other relevant field.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is frequently required to use finger dexterity as well as sufficient hand dexterity to use a computer keyboard, and is frequently required to be capable of reading a computer screen. The employee also may need to remain seated for long periods of time, have the ability to perform repetitive motions, grasp objects, including a writing instrument, stand, communicate verbally and hear well enough to detect nuances and receive detailed information. The employee may be required to walk, push or pull objects, bend, squat, reach, or kneel. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision for expansive reading and data analysis.
The work conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing this job. The World Justice Project staff work indoors in a heated and air-conditioned office, with a mixture of natural, incandescent and fluorescent light with low to moderate noise levels.
Please provide a resume, cover letter, writing sample (max. 5 pages) and three references.