Hedayah is an independent, international, apolitical and non-ideological think-and-do tank. Hedayah aims to be the premier center for expertise and experience to counter violent extremism by promoting understanding and sharing good practice. Hedayah was created in response to the growing desire from members of the Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF) and the wider international community for the establishment of an independent, multilateral center devoted to dialogue and communications, capacity building programs, research and analysis to counter violent extremism in all of its forms. During the ministerial-level launch of the GCTF in New York in September 2011, the UAE offered to serve as the host of the International Center of Excellence for Countering Violent Extremism. In December 2012, Hedayah was inaugurated with its headquarters in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
More information on its diverse program of work, can be found at www.hedayahcenter.org.
- Support the development, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Hedayah’s Research and Analysis activities
- Conduct desk research, field research and statistical analysis to support Hedayah’s activities on CVE topics
- Write and publish research reports and journal articles on CVE topics
- Provide technical and content support the development of research resources and tools for the international CVE community (e.g. Counter-Narrative Library, MASAR)
- Coordinate and organize events, workshops and conferences that fall under the Department’s responsibilities
- Work with Research and Analysis Department team to draft and edit concept notes, proposals, budgets, event materials and final reports for research activities;
- Provide administrative, operational, budgetary and logistical support to Department’s activities
- Participate in Facilitation and Presentations, when required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s Degree (Ph. D is a plus) in International Relations, Conflict Studies, Peace Studies, Terrorism Studies, Cooperation and Development, Political Science, Social Sciences and/or International Law, or related areas;
- At least 1 year of professional experience in international environments and/or research, and/or working with governments and civil society (for candidates with a Ph. D, the requirement of professional experience is waived). Additional experience is an advantage;
- Demonstrated topical knowledge in Countering Violent Extremism, Counter-Terrorism and/or International Relations;
- Experience in Project Management highly desirable;
- Experience in a research institution or academic center is highly desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated research and writing skills; excellent analytical abilities;
- Demonstrated publications in an academic research setting;
- Fluent in English; familiarity with an additional language (Arabic preferred) is a plus;
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders including governments, policy makers, community leaders and actors, NGOs, practitioners and experts;
- Able to work independently as well as within a team;
- Able to manage internal and external relationships with diplomacy, cultural sensitivity and discretion;
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Knowledge of data management tools (e.g. Content Management Systems) is a plus;
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and software (e.g. STATA, SPSS) is a plus; and
- Willingness to travel, including to medium to high-risk countries.
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
- The recruit shall start as soon as possible in Abu Dhabi and the contract shall initially be for one year, potentially renewable upon mutual agreement
Send a short cover letter and CV to [email protected] no later than 28 February, 2020. Subject Line item being "Junior Research Associate"