The Senior Global Advisor on Cybersecurity Policy and Democracy will be responsible for leading IFES’ new business development and thinking on this subject and making policy recommendations that will counter evolving technology and cybersecurity threats to democracy. This individual will work closely with frontline defenders and election experts around the world to help democratic institutions flourish in the face of rising anti-democratic trends. The Senior Global Advisor on Cybersecurity and Democracy will represent IFES externally on relevant technology and cybersecurity issues. The Senior Advisor will also track next generation issues and the challenges they might pose for the electoral process. He or she will maintain strategic relationships with a range of actors, such as governments, donors, election management bodies, judiciaries, INGOs, foundations, technology vendors and other technology actors.
The Senior Global Advisor on Cybersecurity Policy and Democracy will be expected to supervise/and or mentor technology-focused staff and provide strategic vision and leadership for IFES in: outreach and partnerships; technical advancement and innovation; technical assistance quality assurance; business development and program design.
- Outreach and partnerships: Maintain collaborative working relationships with senior level stakeholders. Actively maintain relationships with USAID, the Department of State, and other donor and policy contacts, as relevant to the areas of cybersecurity and democracy. Represent IFES as the lead external contact on the subject. Maintain and enhance academic and institutional connections and partnerships. Carefully nurture and maintain strategic relationships with technology actors, including election technology vendors, to understand advancements and evaluate the advantages and risks of potential partnerships.
- Technical advancement and innovation: Advance IFES’ mission and competitive advantage through innovation in cybersecurity and democracy programming and policy. Drive policy discussions regarding cybersecurity and democracy and develop effective programmatic responses to emerging technology and cybersecurity threats to elections. Organize institutional response to critical issues in this space.
- Technical assistance quality assurance: For projects that incorporate assistance around this portfolio’s subject matter, conduct direct technical assistance in country programs, and provide advice on and oversee of the work of technical consultants. In consultation with regional experts, provide ongoing advice and recommendations for program activities and conduct program reviews, as necessary.
- Business development and program design: Provide advice and recommendations to business development strategy discussions and execution. Contribute to and review IFES’ program design efforts, including proposals, concept notes and options papers, and lead the development of topic-specific proposals, in consultation with regional experts.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of overall work experience with a mastery of the field of cybersecurity and a proven record of strategic development and engagement is required.
RELATED SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- A successful candidate will have demonstrated expertise in analyzing election technology and cybersecurity threats and proposing and implementing solutions to mitigate or manage those threats in electoral contexts. He or she will ideally understand the institutions and processes involved in democracy and elections, have demonstrated an ability to partner closely with relevant actors globally, and will be oriented toward countering current challenges as well as anticipating future threats. He or she will understand the cross-cutting nature of cybersecurity and technology in democracy with other technical fields such as legal/regulatory reform, inclusive political processes, and strategic communications.
- Fluency in English is required
- Travel is required up to 40% of time.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org