The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 280 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
The ECF’s Strategic Communications Team is the outreach unit of the Foundation. The team acts as a centre of expertise on climate communications and seeks to help create more political, media and public endorsement for action on climate change at an international, European and sectoral level. The team delivers strategic advice, communications and outreach services to ECF programmes and grantees and helps build strategic communications capacity in the wider climate community.
The ECF Strategic Communications Associate’s role will support the communications and media needs of the ECF, its programmes, grantees and the wider climate community across Europe. He/she will also be responsible for making full use of social media tools to disseminate messages and raise awareness of ECF-supported initiatives and outputs.
This is an exciting opportunity for a person with a sincere interest in climate and energy issues and the ambition to make a difference, playing an active role in speeding up the low carbon transition in Europe and helping to avoid the worst impacts of global climate change.
Reporting to the Strategic Communications Manager, Europe, the Strategic Communications Associate will be responsible for:
- Accompanying the work of the ECF’s programmes and initiatives to ensure a communications perspective is injected across all stages of strategic decision-making;
- Working with a wide spectrum of internal and external partners to turn strategy into workable campaigns and develop effective communications plans around report releases and political moments;
- Ensuring communications outputs are of the highest quality and standard, via in-house content development as well as capacity building in the field (press releases, speeches, OpEds, social media content);
- Ensuring key messages resonate through the media;
- Staying on top of the political and media debates in Brussels and key EU Member States to identify opportunities for engagement;
- Convening stakeholders to ensure communications opportunities around key political moments are maximized;
- Making full use of new and innovative methods of digital communications work to disseminate messages and raise awareness of ECF-supported initiatives and outputs;
- Working hand-in-hand with an international network of communications experts who seek to advance the momentum of the low carbon transition;
- Maintaining trusted relationships with key correspondents and editors across mainstream and specialist media in Europe and working proactively with media contacts to shape the reporting around ECF priority issues.
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation;
- A good understanding of communication issues related to climate and energy;
- 3 – 5 years of professional communications experience, with proven track record of successful media relations and digital communications;
- A strong understanding of the processes and dynamics of EU policymaking;
- Familiarity with the European media landscape, existing media contacts desirable;
- Outstanding English skills, with proven skills to produce engaging and impactful communications materials;
- The ability to work as part of a team, to foster fruitful relationships and to collaborate with stakeholders internally and externally;
- The ability to communicate effectively with minimal guidance;
- The disposition to work with colleagues in a high-trust international community of peers with a spirit of generosity and mutual support;
- Knowledge of other European languages welcome but not essential.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and resultsoriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position with a 12-months fixed term employment contract (with possibility to extend).
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org