The Global Coalition to Protect Education from Attack (GCPEA) is seeking a highly motivated and qualified person to provide financial, administrative, operational and programmatic support to ensure the efficient operations of the Coalition. The Operations and Administration Officer will be based out of the Human Rights Watch office in Washington DC and will report directly to the Executive Director.
GCPEA was established in 2010 by organizations from the fields of education in emergencies and conflict-affected fragile states, higher education, protection, international human rights, and international humanitarian law who were concerned about on-going attacks on educational institutions, their students, and staff in countries affected by conflict and insecurity. GCPEA is governed by a steering committee made up of the following international organizations: CARA (Council for At-Risk Academics), Human Rights Watch (HRW), Institute of International Education/ IIE Scholar Rescue Fund, Plan International, Protect Education in Insecurity and Conflict (PEIC), a program of the Education Above All Foundation, Save the Children, UNICEF, UNESCO, and UNHCR. GCPEA is a project of the Tides Center, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
- Track expenses and generate monthly financial reports, spending projections, and updated budgets;
- Ensure adherence to project budget and donor requirements;
- Process the timely payment of all invoiced expenses and reimbursements, including payments of consultants and vendors;
- Assist in reports to donors, track reporting requirements for grants, and produce financial reports to funders;
- Review, reconcile, and submit monthly credit card statements in a timely fashion, manage petty cash accounts; and
- Liaise with accounting department to ensure accuracy of all financial reporting and timely processing of all financial transactions;
Administration and Operations
- Facilitate communications between Tides Center, GCPEA Steering Committee members, and working groups, donors, consultants, and affiliated organizations for both the daily operations of the project and larger events including Steering Committee meetings and working group activities;
- Compile monthly activity reports to the Steering Committee;
- Maintain the Coalition’s contacts databases, and maintain accurate records and databases for all GCPEA activities;
- Finalize content and obtain appropriate signatories for contracts with outside vendors, consultants and donors; and
- Perform routine administrative tasks necessary to the functioning of the Coalition.
Meetings & Events
- Schedule regular meetings, and arrange teleconferencing and other logistical requirements;
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of bi-monthly call-in meetings of the Steering Committee and bi-annual in-person meetings, often held internationally and prepare minutes; and
- Arrange all domestic and international meeting logistics, as well as travel for Secretariat members;
- Liaise with graphic designers, translators, and other vendors throughout the development of reports and other publications;
- Proofread and copyedit documents as needed;
- Conduct image searches for publications and ensure that images are properly licensed; and
- Maintain inventory of GCPEA publications, and manage printing and shipping of publications for meetings and events.
Communications, Social Media and Information Technology
- Manage GCPEA’s web presence, including website maintenance, developing website protocols and managing contracts with external web developers;
- Manage GCPEA’s social media accounts, including drafting tweets and Facebook and Instagram posts, and developing content for use in online communications;
- Develop and manage electronic mailings;
- Track and report on GCPEA’s online footprint, website and social media data, and downloads of publications; and
- Support the Coalition’s advocacy efforts, including outreach to representatives of governments and international organizations, as well as drafting of emails and other advocacy documents.
- Manage GCPEA’s email accounts and other online accounts and liaise with IT/helpdesk to troubleshoot computer and internet problems as necessary; and
- Regularly monitor the Coalition’s organizational email account and share or respond to inquiries as appropriate.
- Travel occasionally, as required including to bi-annual Steering Committee meetings; and
- Carry out other tasks as needed, such as contributing to research on attacks on education and engaging in advocacy on protecting education in armed conflict.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in international affairs, international education, nonprofit management, or a similar field.
Experience: A minimum of three years of operations or administrative experience, preferably in a global organization, is required. Experience in accounting or nonprofit financial management, particularly in an organization with multiple foundation and government funding sources, is highly desirable. Event management experience, including arranging travel, is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Exceptional attention to detail under tight deadlines.
· Excellent organization skills and a proven ability to manage multiple competing priorities simultaneously.
· Demonstrated ability to manage complicated financial and accounting tasks, and to clearly and effectively communicate financial and budget information.
· Outstanding writing, editing, and proofreading skills, as well as the ability to write for different audiences and modes of communication, including social media.
· Ability to work efficiently and interact with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, differing levels of seniority, and an array of diverse organizations, including civil society, international organizations and government.
· Capacity to take initiative without prompting, take ownership of projects, and consistently follow-up on tasks.
· Ability to multi-task and prioritize action and responses.
· Highly skilled and proficient in executing administrative tasks.
· Highly proficient in Microsoft Office 2016; internet and database software, including Salesforce, Mailchimp, and NetSuite. Website development skills, including knowledge of WordPress and CSS or HTML, would be advantageous.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org