The overall goal of the CC4FISH project is to increase resilience and reduce vulnerability to climate change impacts in the Eastern Caribbean Fisheries Sector, through introduction of adaptation measures in fisheries management, build capacity of fisherfolk and aquaculturists and improve governance by mainstreaming climate change adaptation in multilevel fisheries governance.
The consequences of climate change and variability can be severe for the region and for the fisheries sector in particular. The objective of this project is to increase resilience and reduce vulnerability to climate change impacts in the Eastern Caribbean Fisheries Sector, through introduction of adaptation measures in fisheries management, build capacity of fisherfolk and aquaculturists and improve governance by mainstreaming climate change adaptation in multilevel fisheries governance. This consultancy will support development of aquaculture activities in Dominica.
The key stakeholders of the project in the seven project countries include national and local fisheries authorities in project countries, the private fishing sector, fishing communities and fisherfolk organizations, and regional organizations, including the Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism, Western Central Atlantic Fishery Commission, The University of the West Indies and various other organizations in the region.
The Aquaculture Development Consultant will work under the direct supervision of the CC4FISH Regional Project Coordinator and in coordination with other relevant FAO officers.
- Development of aquaponics;
- Development of seamoss farming;
- Development of Prawn hatchery;
- Development of a National Aquaculture Strategy.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide technical support for the rebuilding of the Belfast Prawn Hatchery;
- Develop a practical prawn hatchery operation manual for Dominica;
- Provide technical guidance and assistance during the production phase of the demonstration aquaponics farm;
- Maintain oversight of the technical and financial specification in support of the procurement process;
- Provide training to school children and aquaponics farmers on aquaponics;
- Develop a practical aquaponics user manual for Dominica;
- Provide technical assistance to Dominica in developing seamoss farming activities;
- Provide technical assistance to Dominica in assessing the eligibility in site selection;
- Develop list of criteria for selection of seamoss farmers for participation in training;
- Provide technical assistance to trainings for seamoss farmers in production of seamoss;
- Product awareness raising and training materials;
- Support development of a draft National Aquaculture Management Plan;
- Any other matter.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree in agriculture, fisheries or related field;
- Minimum 3 years of practical experience in aquaculture/aquaponics development;
- Working knowledge of English (C Level) and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) in the case of Consultants. In the case of PSA.SBS Working knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus;
- Building Effective Relationships;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- Experience in aquaculture (aquaculture and prawn hatchery) development and implementation;
- Previous experience with working with different stakeholders in the aquaculture sector;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Experience in communicating on aquaculture;
- Familiarity with aquaculture fishing industry and aquaculture policies;
- Good organizational skills;
- Advanced computer skills, especially in MS Word processing.
- Experience with capacity building on aquaponics and/or tilapia culture and/or seamoss farm production;
- Experience in organizing and conducting stakeholder meetings and working in a participatory manner;
- Experience with the writing of capacity building materials/promotional materials;
- Willingness to be based in Dominica.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Development of an aquaponics equipment list and workplan for the two demonstration centers;
- Development of a seamoss equipment list and workplan for the seamoss farming activities in Dominica;
- Develop Service contracts for all activities in Dominica where applicable;
- Organize Stakeholder meeting for the Aquaculture Management Plan and submit report;
- Draft Aquaculture Management Plan.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org