Radio Free Asia (RFA) is a private, Washington, DC-based, nonprofit corporation that provides accurate and timely news and information to Asian countries whose governments prohibit access to a free press. Delivered in nine Asian languages in addition to English, our journalism extends beyond radio to include web, video, mobile and e-books. Radio Free Asia (RFA) is seeking a talented, dynamic and versatile journalist to prepare, produce, present and place reports and programs on multiple media platforms for its Vietnamese Service. This position will be based in RFA’s Washington, DC, offices.
• Covering news and/or features, as assigned, with journalistic depth and analysis.
• Using and cultivating a range of reliable sources, and interviewing subjects who are relevant to the story.
• Eliciting newsworthy comments and information from interviewees and determining relevant portions of interview to select for broadcast or webcast.
• Researching information online and from other relevant news sources, and incorporating multimedia, as appropriate, into reports and/or features.
• Writing stories accurately and under deadline; adapting materials from English and other languages into the Vietnamese language.
• Using digital equipment to deliver clean, clear, and creative productions across media platforms.
• Delivering news stories and features professionally on webcast/TV in the Vietnamese language.
• Conducting video reporting from the field, as needed.
• Demonstrated experience in broadcast or print journalism required (at least one year full-time experience in a media company preferred), multimedia experience (including TV) a plus.
• Academic credentials (Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field from an accredited college or university preferred) or equivalent transferable skills showing ability to gather, produce, write, and present news and information clearly and objectively.
• Knowledge and understanding of current political, economic and social conditions in Vietnam and surrounding areas.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and discretion in evaluating and presenting news.
• Knowledge of and ability to utilize online media in creative and innovative ways and to adapt to new technologies as they evolve.
• Experience with post-production video editing using in-house software.
• Strong computer skills and ability to edit video using Adobe Premier Editing Suite. Experience with After Effects, Photoshop, Microsoft FrontLook, ENPS and audio software preferred.
• Required language skills: Spoken and written fluency in Vietnamese and English languages.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
Send résumé with cover letter (making reference to the position of "Vietnamese Service Broadcaster/Webcaster") via email or fax to 202-530-7797.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org