Under the supervision of the Senior Microenterprise Business Counselor, the Microenterprise Business Counselor will support the continued development of the IRC Microenterprise Program. The IRC Microenterprise Program offers loans and technical assistance to help CDBG, ORR, and SBDC eligible San Diego County residents start or grow a small business.
• Assist in the outreach and recruitment of program participants; screen and assess interested City of San Diego residents for program eligibility and participation;
• Provide one-on-one business counseling and management assistance to new and existing San Diego county residents owned-businesses in all areas of business start-up and expansion;
• Assist entrepreneurs to become ready for business financing through preparation of loan applications, business plans, and financial statements;
• Underwrite and package loan applications, and present for review to the IRC’s CDFI, Women’s Empowerment Loan Fund and Small Business Administration Programs such as Economic Injury Disaster Loan and the Paycheck Protection Program as needed;
• Conduct individual case management and loan collections, including "off-site" technical assistance visits to the businesses or homes of program participants;
• Proactively facilitate referrals to outside service providers as necessary to meet the diverse needs of the program participants;
• Ensure that information required for program eligibility and reporting purposes is collected and that accurate records are maintained, including case files and client data entry across multiple data bases. Ensure necessary steps are taken to obtain relevant data in a timely fashion; follow-up with all clients regularly and record all contacts with case notes;
• Attend regularly scheduled meetings with other IRC staff and volunteers as part of the review, evaluation and program maintenance process;
• Plan and coordinate of training activities and special events;
• Assist with childcare business technical assistance in coordination with community partner programming;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Undergraduate degree or related field; business experience in lieu of formal business education is acceptable;
• At least 1 year of experience in microenterprise development or operation of a small business;
• At least 1 year of experience in non-profit sector and experience with immigrant entrepreneurs is strongly preferred;
• Proficiency in Spanish required;
• Knowledge and experience with an array of business topics, including marketing, management, financing, and entrepreneurship;
• Familiar with business software and technologies, especially low-cost online marketing strategies;
• Excellent organizational skills;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to make presentations;
• Ability to work independently, be a self-starter and maintain responsibility for multiple tasks.
• Standard, professional office environment;
• Regular travel to off-site locations is required;
• Offices hours are scheduled as Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm;
• Remote work is allowed during office closure with COVID-19, but must live in San Diego County;
• Access to a reliable vehicle to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area with a valid driver's license and current insurance.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org