Duties and Responsibilities
Provision of top quality advisory and programme development services
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country related to the thematic/sectorial areas assigned and preparation of substantive inputs to the UN Women MCO programme planning in those areas;
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme interventions;
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectorial areas assigned;
- Design and formulation of programme initiatives within the area of responsibility, translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions;
- Provision of programme advisory support to the Office Management within the thematic area/portfolio assigned.
Coordination of UN Women Programmes and in Jamaica, The Bahamas, Belize, Bermuda and Turks and Caicos.
- Under the guidance and oversight of the Representative, exercise overall responsibility for planning, implementation, management, and coordination aspects of the programmes/projects under her/his responsibility;
- Ensure effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results;
- Manage the portfolio of on-going programmes/projects through technical monitoring and administrative and financial supervision ensuring the proper application of a monitoring system to track progress on program results and indicators;
- Lead programmes/projects appraisal and evaluation according to results-based management requirements;
- Coordinate and supervise the activities of programme staff, projects staff, experts and consultants working as part of the technical assistance team;
- Responsible for the timely preparation and quality control of all substantive technical reports, briefs and required documents;
- Ensure timely production and submission of all partial and/or progress reports by all members of the project team, contractors and project partners;
- Conduct field visits to supervise, coordinate and monitor field level activities of portfolio;
- Identify, advise and support partnership development in the programmatic areas under her/his portfolio, including resource mobilization for programmatic work.
Partnership development and Inter-Agency Coordination Support
- Provide substantive support to the UN Women Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities;
- Take part in UN System planning and programming processes in the Caribbean, ensuring that gender equality, non-discrimination and human rights concerns are clearly reflected and mainstreamed in process;
- Prepare substantive inputs to UN System planning, programming, and advocacy processes in the Region thoroughly analyzing and researching the political, social and economic situation in the region;
- Prepare analytical and regular progress reports on UN Women´s program experiences in support of UN Women’s inter-agency coordination role.
Strategic partnerships building and resource mobilization Support
- Implement the Office partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes within the areas assigned;
- Create and coordinate partnerships with the relevant UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.;
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN Women, needs in the Caribbean region and priorities of development partners at the national and regional level;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Follow up on resource on mobilization activities for fund raising for new projects in coordination with the UN Women Representative.
Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Support the establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linkages to international networks related to the sectorial/thematic areas assigned;
- Proactively and substantively support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners;
- Identify and synthesis best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals in the sectoral/thematic areas assigned;
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Core Values/Guiding Principles
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, particularly with experience in ending violence against women; supporting CEDAW implementation; and in the areas of gender-responsive monitoring, planning and budgeting;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Lead teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Focuses on impact and result for the partners and responds positively to feedback.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development, Gender, Human Rights, Applied Anthropology, or in other related Social Sciences.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience at the national or international level working with development projects providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments, preferably in the field of gender and human rights of women;
- Gender and Development experience in the areas of ending violence against women and girls is required; and CEDAW implementation considered a strong asset;
- Prior experience in the UN System and the Region will be an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN working knowledge is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org