With occasional travel to: With regular travel to Mission East’s other HQ locations and the field.
Responsible to: Director of Operations
Direct Line Management of: HQ Programme Managers, with significant coordination with Disaster Response Manager and HQ MEAL Manager.
Hours/Contract: Full time (38hrs/week), Permanent.
Mission East is an international relief and development organisation working in crisis-affected countries in the former Soviet Union, the Middle East and Asia. We deliver emergency relief during disasters as well as long-term development assistance. We are based on Christian values. Mission East works to support vulnerable people and help local communities lift themselves out of poverty and marginalisation. We work directly with our beneficiaries or through local and international partners. We constantly strive to strengthen the relevance, impact and sustainability of our programmes. More information on Mission East can be found at: http://www.missioneast.org.
Leadership and management of Mission East’s programme development and delivery to enable the organisation to fulfil its mission. As a member of the Management Team, the role combines day to day leadership of programme staff and donor relationship management with strategic development of relevant and well-run programmes which put our mission and values into action.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Leadership of Mission East field programmes activity;
- Provision of regular programmes updates and briefings to Management Team and Board, as necessary;
- Coordination of Programmes teamwork with other Mission East teams (Communications, Fundraising, Finance, HR, IT) via Management Team meetings and additional regular interaction;
- Participation in Management Team meetings and business;
- Deputising for the Operations Director where necessary.
- Responsibility for programming strategy, in line with Organisational Mission, Vision and Direction and in coordination with other team strategies;
- Provision of input to other team strategies as appropriate;
- Oversight of Programmes strategy implementation and link to realistic country strategies.
Programmes Team Management
- Provide day to day management of Mission East HQ Programme Managers;
- Provide ongoing leadership and operational guidance to Mission East‘s country programmes;
- Ensure clear roles and responsibilities in Programmes Team (incl. Country programmes) and ensure functional organisation with effective and efficient use of resources;
- Ensure programmes team accesses and integrates technical knowledge and expertise available within the wider operations team, Mission East and the sector;
- Support development of employee competencies and ensure ongoing improvement of organisational capabilities (incl. systems and processes);
- Coordination and approval of new grant applications and submissions, oversight of donor reporting processes.
Donor Engagement and Relationship Management
- In coordination with the Operations Director, representation and liaison with both established and potential institutional donors and partners, networks and alliances;
- In coordination with the Operations Director, ensure Mission East’s engagement with other networks and groupings for learning, collaboration, alliancing and collective positioning;
- As required, represent Mission East to external stakeholders and fora.
Supporting quality and accountability of Mission East humanitarian/development programmes
- Ensure maintenance and update of relevant organisational guidance (sector policies, key approach tools etc.);
- Promote and contribute to the realisation of Mission East’s commitments as per its Quality and Accountability Framework, including CHS compliance and certification;
- Add insight and guidance to other relevant aspects of ensuring quality and accountability in programming, in areas such as partner capacity building, rights-based approaches, procurement, risk assessments etc.
Security, Safety and wellbeing
- Ensure that programme team follow security policy and plans. Participate actively in security monitoring and security management processes;
- Contribute to quality human resource management with the programme and field teams.
- Carry out other duties, which may or may not be related to the job, as reasonably requested.
You will have the following experience and qualifications
- Masters level degree in a relevant field;
- A proven track record of working in the relief and development NGO sector;
- Demonstrable field programmes leadership experience in development and/or humanitarian responses;
- Experience in team and people leadership in a values-driven organisation, preferably at senior management level in HQ or equivalent;
- Experience of Mission East’s countries of operation would be desirable.
You will display
- A track record in programme management and implementation through all stages of programme design, implementation and evaluation. Excellent communication skills, including in verbal and written English. Danish or German language skills would be an advantage;
- Familiarity with humanitarian/development sector standards and codes of conduct, including the CHS;
- Sympathy with Mission East’s organisational values;
- Willingness to travel to Mission East’s other office locations;
- Understanding of current trends and debates in the humanitarian and development sector;
- Security awareness and an understanding of operating in high security areas;
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, and able to work with colleagues and partners with diverse skill levels, language levels and perspectives (often through remote communication);
- Able to thrive on a variety of tasks; flexible and easy-going;
- Enthusiastic, professional and positive approach with a high degree of self-motivation;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise, plan and delegate within a fast-moving environment;
- Excellent relationship-management, teambuilding and interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate clearly and appropriately across all levels of the organisation;
- Financial literacy, able to participate in and review project/programme/organisational budgeting and financial management;
- Excellent computer skills in Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Mission East upholds high standards in all aspects of Safeguarding. In view of the nature of this role potentially requiring involvement with vulnerable individuals (including situations where there are potential imbalances of power), you may be required to provide a certificate of good conduct;
- Mission East upholds high standards in Counter Terrorism (COTER) and sanctions regulation compliance. In view of this role’s travel to and remote involvement with our field offices, Mission East will conduct a thorough pre-employment background check of successful candidates, including checking through the SDN sanctions lists.
The closing date for this position is the 11th of October 2020.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org