FAO and the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan, represented by the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA), signed an agreement in May 2015, which set up an FAO/Azerbaijan Partnership Programme (FAPP). The primary objective of the FAPP is to provide a substantive, financial and operational framework for active cooperation in the areas of food security and poverty alleviation in Azerbaijan, and in other countries of mutual interest. Currently, there are 7 operationally active projects under this programme. This assignment is aimed at supporting the visibility of FAPP-funded projects.
In this context, under the overall supervision of the FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan Representative (FAOR), direct supervision of the AFAOR, technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officers (LTO) of each project, technical guidance of the REU Communications Officer and in close coordination with the FAPP Manager, technical experts and project staff (national and international consultants) and in close collaboration with the projects’ counterparts, the National Project Coordinators (NPC), Junior Technical Officers (JTO) and especially the Agency for Agrarian Credits and Development under the Ministry of Agriculture, and in accordance with prevailing FAO Corporate Communications policies and practices, the Communication Advisor will be responsible for performing the following activities:
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Prepare a public relations strategy, including annual and quarterly work plans of activities for effective implementation.
- Effectuate regular visits to projects’ sites, collect relevant information and prepare visibility materials, documenting project-related trainings and activities.
- Prepare press releases and related informational materials, ensuring wide distribution of specific project activities and the overall project goals and objectives in both print or electronic format.
- Facilitate project activities’ coverage by national and local media (TV, radio, web broadcasts); develop communication materials to be widely distributed to media.
- Help organize informative broadcasts, raising visibility and interest around the projects, their goals and objectives, and related activities.
- Support the planning and preparation of events aimed at increasing the media coverage, raising the visibility of FAPP projects, and to publicise the projects’ goals and achievements in an effective manner.
- Bring in the technical expertise through exchange of ideas with marketing professionals to improve the impact of projects’ visibility activities.
- Help manage negative impact of bad publicity through effective and timely response, limiting the potential damage to the overall reputation.
- Maintain a photo and video database, containing material obtained during projects’ activities, as well as any related visibility materials.
- Prepare action areas for related fields.
- Other relevant duties, as required.
- University/Bachelor degree on communications, social sciences or development studies with a focus on rural and community development;
- A minimum of five years’ experience in public relations, with proven ability to demonstrate previously developed materials;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Azerbaijani.
- National of Azerbaijan or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus.
- Building Effective Relationships.
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- Works in a team environment and shows conflict resolution skills.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills and applies them in the work.
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
- Completes tasks in a timely, cost-effective way and/or escalated properly.
- Previous experience working in different types of media, such as TV, radio, newspapers or social media.
- Readiness to travel frequently within the country.
- Good IT and social media skills (Facebook, twitter, etc.), in particular experience with PR related graphic programs and MS Office.
- Experience working in rural context considered an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org