The American Red Cross (AmRC) International Services Department (ISD) seeks to prevent and alleviate human suffering around the world by responding to disasters, building safer, more resilient communities, and educating future humanitarians. The American Red Cross continues to deepen and expand its international programming while also working to strengthen the global Red Cross Red Crescent Network, in order to deliver critical assistance to some of the most vulnerable communities in the world.
The IM, GIS, and ICT team is looking for a full-time an Information Management Officer (IMO) to support our data initiatives. The IMO will foster a data culture, assist in making data more accessible, and build stronger communities of practice around data to support preparedness, response, and recovery programs. The position will be responsible for continuing to develop resources to support information management and work with partners to integrate responsible data practices.
- Coordinate with partners to apply a data readiness framework to existing programs, especially around operational leadership and cash programming.
- Collaborate with team members to further develop relevant resources to build data literacy for volunteers, staff, and leadership. This includes learning and development pathways.
- Develop new volunteers and train existing volunteers on analysis and visualization of data.
- Travel to project sites, primarily in Asia, to train volunteers on data management and mapping techniques.
- Actively engage with the IFRC, Red Cross movement actors, and organizations to build relationships within the information management field.
- Continue to build the information management communities of practice and networks, developing resources to guide collaboration and coordination.
- Identify applications of data within project areas. Develop strategies and pursue chances to create data useful in the local context.
- Compile data from a variety of sources such as reports, mobile data collection, and GIS databases.
- Deploy to disaster responses on limited notice, for up to one month, as an information management delegate or provide remote information management coordination and support.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in a related field with a minimum of 5 years of experience as an analyst or similar.
- Experience planning and delivering technical trainings to a wide variety of audiences with varying skill levels including volunteers, community members, and staff.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and/or InkScape to create informative and appealing infographics and/or marketing materials.
- Experience conducting research to locate and obtain existing relevant data.
- Strong data management skills and experience using Excel and/or relational databases.
- Knowledge of survey design, data collection, and management using mobile data collection tools.
- Experience in learning and education with particular attention to adult learning techniques.
- Experience working on international development or humanitarian response projects, preferably not only in headquarters based roles.
- Experience using GIS applications such as QGIS to produce maps a plus but not required
- Enthusiasm for open data and open-source tools.
- Ability to tackle problems under a variety of circumstances and adapt to dynamic situations
- Ability to work as an active team member but independently, with limited guidance.
- Experience building project plans and budgets is a plus.
- Experience with the Red Cross network and international humanitarian work is helpful.
- Proficiency in Spanish or French helpful.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org