The UN Coordination Advisor reports to the Director of the UN System Coordination Division of UN Women who provides overall strategic direction, guidance and oversight. The Coordination Advisor will serve as the Deputy and support the Director in the leadership of the Division focusing on the functions below and in close collaboration with other members of the UNSCD, The UN Coordination Advisor will also drive business process improvements and be accountable for overseeing the annual work planning and budget process within the Division in close coordination with the Director. She will ensure a further strengthening of linkages between HQ and the field, establish a globally matrixed coordination function and, as part of that, provide strategic and technical support and advice to UN Women offices. She will work to identify strategic opportunities to leverage UN Women’s coordination mandate to influence and enhance the coherence of the UN System’s work, to facilitate the mobilization of joint and coordinated action, including through further leveraging joint and coordinated programmes and Multi Partner Trust Funds (MPTFs) and to promote accountability, for the UN System’s work on gender equality and the empowerment of women, including supporting the use and development of accountability frameworks.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage UN Women’s engagement and influence in the strategic repositioning of the UN Development System (UNDS) at HQ and regional and country levels and strengthen collaboration with other UN agencies:
- Coordinate and develop UN Women’s strategic inputs in the implementation of the UNDS strategic repositioning, and other UN reform processes as needed;
- Develop and implement a framework, in coordination with other UN agencies, to support UN Women field offices to support Resident Coordinators and UNCTs in the application gender equality as a key guiding principle in the Common Country Analysis and UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework;
- Coordinate and prepare UN Women’s reporting on the implementation of the QCPR and other UNDS reform related resolutions;
- Liaise with Regional UNSDGs, UN Women Regional Offices and UN Women regional Planning and Coordination Specialists to mobilize and sustain joint interagency action at the regional and country level;
- Lead the development of Strategic Coordination Dialogues with UN agencies in collaboration with other HQ Division and UN Women offices to strengthen/establish concrete partnerships with other UN agencies to further leverage the respective entities’ resources, expertise and mandates to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Identify pooled financing mechanisms and joint programming opportunities for UN Women to support UN Women resource mobilization efforts in close collaboration with the Strategic Partnerships Division, the Programme, Policy and Intergovernmental Division and other relevant divisions, regional and country offices, as needed;
- Enable the Division and other UN Women personnel working on UN Coordination to be more effective by introducing continuous improvement cycles for key UN Coordination business processes.
Engage with UNSDG and other coordination mechanisms:
- Advise the Division’s Director to identify new and emerging coordination issues affecting the UN’s operational work to advance gender equality that require system-wide attention;
- Oversee and follow-up on coordination requirements at the HQ level related to the UNSDG in close coordination with the Division Director;
- Provide technical guidance and support in UN Women’s substantive participation in the UNSDG and its result groups to secure system-wide policies that promote gender equality and the empowerment of women in the operational work of the UN Development system;
- Provide substantive support to the participation of relevant UN Women senior officials in UNSDG meetings, in liaison with relevant UN Women organizational units, including drafting briefing notes and documents as necessary;
- Coordinate and ensure submission of substantive inputs by UN Women to interagency reports, policy papers and guidance notes related to UNSDG work and operational activities, including collaboration with inter-agency working groups and ensuring UN Women representation and value-added contributions where necessary and appropriate;
- In collaboration with UN Women regional offices, provide technical support UN Women’s engagement in regional coordination platforms.
Strengthen UN Women’s coordination mandate to enhance accountability for gender mainstreaming at the country level”so as to ensure UN system-wide accountability:
- Establish a coordination mechanism with other UN agencies to provide consistent, coherence and high-quality technical guidance to mainstream gender analysis in Common Country Analysis and UNSDCF;
- Provide technical and coordination support on the dialogue with experts across the UN system to generate cross-system standard approaches, and develop training/guidance materials applicable to operational activities;
- In coordination with DCOs and UN Women Regional Offices, lead, promote and support the full implementation of UNCT SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard including alignment with UN system coordinated data bases such as UNINFO to promote accountability for system-wide and interagency work on gender equality and the empowerment of women;
- Ensure the establishment of an effective, web-based mechanism to track and support application of gender markers in alignment with UNINFO, a global help desk and a dedicated reporting platform for the UNCT SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard, in collaboration with DCO as manager of the UNSDG IMS;
- Support the establishment of a globally networked knowledge organization by facilitating matrixed, country to country and region to region exchange of UN coordination knowledge; support to the standardization and continuous improvement of field-level UN coordination by curating global best practices.
Lead capacity development, knowledge generation and management for gender mainstreaming support in the UNDS and the implementation of UN Women’s coordination mandate:
- Coordinate the formulation and update of UNSDG guidance on gender mainstreaming in the CCA/UNSDCF and on the review of the guidance package for UN GTGs;
- Develop UN training programmes on gender mainstreaming for UN entities including UNCTs, in collaboration with the UNSDG and DCO;
- In coordination with Regional Strategic Planning and Coordination Advisors, provide guidance and support to gender theme groups (GTGs) and other gender groups at country and regional levels based on the work of the UNSDG on gender equality and the empowerment of women;
- Oversee the management of the internal Community of Practice on inter-agency coordination for GEEW, and lead in the development of other knowledge management products as required;
- Ensure the development and maintenance of a resource platform for the implementation of the UNCT SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard.
Serve as the Deputy of the Division and support the management of the UNSCD:
- Oversee the process of the development of the Division’s annual work plan and budget process, for approval by the Director;
- Ensure the performance management for the Division is undertaken on a timely basis;
- Support the division director in the division internal business process improvement, in collaboration with all teams in UNSCD;
- Provide advice and guidance to the Director on UN system coordination and leadership and overall strategic and policy issues affecting UN Women and its direction and operations;
- Coordinate requests to and responses from the UNSCD from Divisions and UN Women offices concerning corporate exercises, evaluations, donor reviews, change management and intergovernmental processes, in close collaboration with the Director;
- Manage, guide and oversee team members, create a positive and enabling work environment, encourage learning and development opportunities for personnel, and ensure all team members adhere to UN Women performance management processes.
Perform any other duties as requested by the supervisor.
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Knowledge on gender equality and women’s empowerment issues;
- Ability to conceptualize and convey strategic vision from the spectrum of development experience;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Knowledge of the workings of the UNSDG as well as contributing to SG reports is an advantage;
- Ability to design and facilitate trainings and workshops;
- Demonstrated negotiating, cultural sensitivity and diplomatic skills;
- Well-developed people management skills;
- Ability to provide information, tools, resources to support work achievement;
- Effectiveness and client orientation and pro-activity;
- Ability to leverage information technology, executive information systems, management techniques and tools for optimal office performance;
- Team building skills;
- Conflict management and resolution skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in one or more of the following disciplines: gender issues, strategic planning/management, social sciences, economics, or other related fields;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 10 years of experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in administration, business management, coordination, strategic planning and operations in a large international and/or corporate organization;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in work on Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women including in leading and supporting gender mainstreaming efforts in organizations;
- Experience in the UN Common System required. A combination of HQ and regional/country level experience would be an added advantage Experience in leading multicultural teams.
- Written and oral proficiency in English is required. Knowledge of the other UN working knowledge is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org