Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches more than 90 countries, including the United States, with life-changing health programs, medicine and medical supplies. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicine and medical supplies. For more information, visit americares.org.
Americares is seeking a staff accountant to provide financial and accounting support to our foreign field operations in Africa. While the position will focus in supporting the Liberia and Tanzania office, it will also support other Americares field offices. The position will support monthly funding requests, financial and accounting reporting, and year-end close financial activities with all field operations. This position will report to the HQ Finance Manager of Field Ops- Africa.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all foreign reporting entities have submitted monthly actual data submission forms and provide daily status reports during close process
- Prepare and post foreign field operations journal entries based on data submission forms
- Perform foreign currency translation of foreign entities under ASC 830
- Analyze expenses for field offices, including comparisons to budget results
- Coordinate intercompany charges with other locations
- Prepare and analyze intercompany account reconciliations, resolve reconciling items when needed, and work with the HQ GL team to resolve differences.
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports such as financial statements, budget performance, and interim grant financial reporting
- Assist HQ Finance Manager of Field Operations in month end close process.
- Assist with accumulating support and preparing schedules for internal and external audits
- Correspond with others in the department and programs to ensure proper accounting for purchases and expenses
- Other Ad Hoc analyses as needed.
- Assist in the completion of other finance and accounting tasks, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Minimum of 4+ years of relevant experience as a staff accountant. Big 4 experience is beneficial
- Experience working in a multinational non-for-profit entity or corporation. Experience with working with Africa is a plus
- Experience with preparing and proposing journal entries on their own based on analysis performed
- Experience working with intercompany and multi-currency transactions, is a plus.
- A positive, detail-oriented attitude and ability to analyze data
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English; multi-lingual proficiency in another language preferred.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff
- Self-starter with the ability to multi-task effectively
- Expert skills in Excel, including processing and analyzing data from different sources using advanced Excel functionality such as Advanced Formulas, Macros and Pivot Tables.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Must have a valid passport and U.S. driver’s license
- Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally to Africa and other field offices, as needed.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org