Do you want to protect civic freedom in Asia? The International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL) is looking for a creative, strategic, and highly motivated lawyer to help us do just that. The Legal Advisor – Asia will be based in ICNL’s Washington, DC office. This is a full-time position, with significant travel once the pandemic passes. The Legal Advisor – Asia will help design and implement ICNL’s programs across Asia.
ICNL promotes the freedoms of association, assembly, and expression and supports civil society, digital rights, and philanthropy in countries around the world, including in Asia. ICNL engages with civil society, governments, parliaments, and the United Nations.
Under the direction of ICNL’s Vice President – Legal Affairs, illustrative duties include:
- Design and implement activities to improve the legal environment for civil society in Asia;
- Provide technical legal assistance to government officials, parliamentarians, and civil society;
- Design and implement projects with local partners;
- Research civil society legal issues and produce educational materials;
- Assist with budget and contract management, program development, and donor requirements; and
- Represent ICNL at meetings and conferences.
- Law degree from an accredited school;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in international policy, human rights, or development;
- Demonstrated knowledge of civic space issues in Asia;
- Excellent research, analytical, writing, and presentation skills;
- Proven ability to engage constructively with governments, civil society and/or media networks;
- Experience in program strategy and design as well as project management;
- Fluency in English;
- Willingness to travel extensively;
- Experience in program development/grant writing is an advantage;
- Civil society experience, particularly in challenging political environments, is an advantage; and
- The Legal Advisor must possess legal authorization to work in the U.S. and be willing to live in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
To apply, please e-mail your cover letter, curriculum vitae, and writing sample to [email protected]. In the subject line of your e-mail, please indicate “Legal Advisor-Asia.” In your cover note, please reference where you saw this posting. Applications should be submitted by December 10, 2020 and will be considered on a rolling basis.
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls or emails to ICNL staff, please. ICNL is an equal opportunity employer.