The position will provide strategic oversight and guidance on finance and operations matters to Amazon Frontlines in a period of growth and maturation from its roots as a small, but high-impact community organizing initiative to an international, mid-sized organization with an equally ambitious vision for change. The DFO will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of financial planning and management, for identifying needs and challenges in the areas of finance and operational management within an international context, and for suggesting solutions and appropriate resources for addressing them. The DFO will work closely with our partner organizations to provide support in the creation of their own sustainable and efficient finance and operations systems, and as such will have a strong capacity building orientation.
The successful candidate will above all be committed to the mission of supporting indigenous leadership and to Amazon Frontlines highly collaborative, fast-paced and solutions-oriented culture. This is an opportunity to help shepherd a highly successful organization through this next phase of its growth, and as such will be a systems thinker with an exacting attention to detail. The person stepping into this role will work closely with the leadership of the organization to ensure smooth internal functioning and successful operation of Amazon Frontlines, and support its sister organization, Alianza Ceibo.
- Coordinate with the Executive, Deputy and Program Directors in preparing the annual budget and long-term financial planning.
- Manage monthly financial reporting processes and provide information to leadership in a manner that facilitates and enables sound decision making;
- Provide support to indigenous partners on financial management matters, as needed, to enhance organizational capacity and ensure long-term organizational effectiveness.
- Review current accounting and finance systems; advise and implement changes for growth and sustainability; update internal AF accounting and finance manuals, as needed.
- Oversee year-end close, audit preparation, and tax filings for Amazon Frontlines.
- Provide staff support to the relevant committees of the Amazon Frontlines Board of Directors
- Manage day-to-day transactions for accounting and finance (in collaboration with Operations & HR Coordinator).
- Assist development and program staff with the preparation of grant proposal budgets and lead in the creation of financial reports to donors. Monitor use of grant funds in accordance with grant agreements and provide regular reports to leadership regarding grant balances remaining.
- Refine structures for financial management of grantmaking to partner organizations.
- Process all cash receipts and accounts receivable; oversee all payroll processing, domestic and international.
- Manage organizational bank, stock and credit card accounts.
- Ensure organizational compliance and oversee organizational risk management, in collaboration with Ecuador based Operations Coordinator.
- Oversee the implementation and continuous review of organization policies (in coordination with ED, DED, and Ops/Hr coordinator).
- Supervises and mentors Operations Coordinator in the creation and implementation of internal policies and procedures to support a high functioning, committed team.
- Supports Operations Coordinator in the establishment and maintenance of regional office facilities.
- Support growth plans, including setting up local country offices and expanding organizational scope, as needed.
- 5+ years of non-profit financial and operations management experience, preferably in an international context
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Technology savvy with knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Experience in financial reporting for foundation and government grants.
- Experience working in highly collaborative organizations, and a demonstrated commitment to transparency and supporting growth of other team members.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills in a diverse team
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Amazon Frontlines
- Spanish knowledge highly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Non-Profit Management or a related field; CPA is a plus
- Experience working with Board of Directors and Board committee
- Experience in overseeing a Human Resources function
Please send your resume or CV and a cover letter to the following email. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Position will remain open until filled.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org