FIDH is an international human rights organisation, bringing together 192 member organisations from 117 countries and territories. FIDH’s mandate is to contribute to the respect of all the rights defined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. FIDH aims at obtaining effective improvements in the protection of victims, the prevention of human rights violations and the sanction of their perpetrators. FIDH has seven priority areas : Supporting Human Rights Defenders ; Fostering an environment conducive to democracy and freedoms ; Promoting women’s rights ; Fighting discrimination and violence based on sexual orientation and gender identity ; Promoting the rights of migrants ; Combating impunity and protecting populations from the most serious crimes ; and Promoting respect for human rights by economic players.
The 2020 presidential elections in Belarus were marked by an unprecedented level of protest activity and violent repression by the authorities. Massive police abuses, including beatings of peaceful protestors and journalists, torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment by law enforcement and prison authorities continue to this day. These violations are accompanied by impunity due to the unwillingness of authorities to conduct proper criminal investigations into allegations of torture.
Over the past months, non-governmental organisations, international institutions, and States have stepped up in their efforts to support human rights and the civil society in Belarus, and to ensure accountability. FIDH has been very active in these efforts. It is our belief that the already crucial role played by social media in mobilising the civil society and reporting on repressions needs to be further enhanced through creative content. Advocacy and awareness raising will continue playing an important role in generating stronger resonance with all relevant actors and the general public.
To this end FIDH is seeking a Russian-speaking Digital Consultant for a period of 10 months.
Indicative duties and responsibilities
The consultant will work in concert with the FIDH Eastern Europe and Central Asia (EECA) desk, FIDH Communications Department, FIDH Advocacy Desks in Geneva and Brussels, and local partners. With this assignment, FIDH would like to enhance its awareness raising efforts in the context of the ongoing repression in Belarus and increase its visibility before stakeholders and general public. More specifically, the objectives of the consultancy are to:
1. Perform a mapping of the relevant social media platforms, influential websites, and blogs in Belarus in order to identify gaps in coverage of the events in Belarus, collaboration prospects and opportunities for action;
2. Contribute to the creation of a dedicated web platform (blog), including by definition of its structure and identification of the major themes that will be addressed on this platform;
3. Elaborate and regularly update a communication plan for social media and the platform (blog) to support the awareness raising strategy around FIDH reports focused on the ongoing repression in Belarus;
4. Plan and regularly update a digital advertising strategy to support the awareness raising;
5. Produce social media and blog content based on the communication plan (please refer to the point 3), including articles, press-releases, social media posts, video, images, infographics, etc. based on the materials provided by local NGOs and in concert with the IT and Communications teams;
6. Implement the digital advertising activities as defined in the strategy (please refer to the point 4);
7. Engage with relevant stakeholders, including influencers and FIDH partner NGOs, create partnerships and come up with joint publications;
8. Make a monthly reporting of the communicational activities to measure the effectiveness of actions and to contribute to the reporting;
9. Occasionally contribute to the advocacy efforts of the EECA desk by assisting with drafting/presentation of letters and information notes to the key stakeholders.
• Bachelor or Master’s degree in communication, digital communication, political science, international relations or related fields;
• At least 3 years of professional experience in a similar position, preferably in an NGO or a communications agency;
• Fluent written and spoken Russian and English, Belarusian is a big plus.
• Very good knowledge and practice of social networks: Facebook, Twitter, Telegram, Youtube;
• Experience in using design tools (Adobe Photoshop, Canva); mastery of video editing tools is appreciated ;
• Experience in managing web content on platforms like SPIP, Wordpress, Drupal, Prestashop is a plus;
• Demonstrated interest in or knowledge of human rights and the ongoing situation in Belarus.
Duration of consultancy
• The duration of the consultancy will be from February 1, 2021, to November 30, 2021 (10 months).
Terms of the consultancy
• Freelance status;
• Possibility to work remotely;
• The consultant will cover his own operating costs (communication, office and technical equipment);
• The consultant will be asked to sign a service contract and a non-disclosure agreement with the FIDH.
• 16,032 USD (taxes included) for 10 months of consultancy, part time, 3 or 4 days per week depending on the qualification of the candidate.
• Deadline for applications: 14 January 2021;
• Conducting of interviews: the week of January 18;
• Contracting of the consultant: end of January 2021 - beginning of February.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org