The Charter Cities Institute is a nonprofit building the ecosystem for charter cities. We are hiring a Head of Operations to add to our executive team. The Head of Operations will work with the executive team under the Executive Director to set annual goals, streamline hiring and onboarding procedures, develop strategic plans, ensure effective delivery of programs, set budgets and other finances, and evaluate organizational performance. The Charter Cities Institute is a small team, so the Head of Operations will need to be comfortable working on high-level strategy as well as getting their hands dirty. The ideal candidate has experience in a small international development organization, working both with high-level research and on the ground application.
Responsibilities of Head of Operations
- Hiring: The Head of Operations will be responsible for improving our hiring and onboarding process and developing clear metrics for evaluating candidates. They will ensure new hires are able to quickly learn the ropes at CCI and hit the ground running. They will also improve our performance review process. The Head of Operations will work with the leadership team to promote and handle our internship program.
- Performance reviews and employee retention: The Head of Operations will improve our employee reviews and take charge of ensuring we have a competitive benefits package to offer to staff. We will be looking for a post-covid office this spring and the Head of Operations will work with the Executive Director to identify an office.
- Budget and finance: The Head of Operations will work with the executive team to create annual budgets, will ensure timely payment to contractors and other service providers, and ensure that donations and other revenue forms are appropriately accounted for.
- Events: The Head of Operations will work with the executive team to plan events, including the inaugural Charter Cities Conference scheduled for Q1 2022 and a charter cities leadership retreat in summer or fall 2021. The Head of Operations will develop project management plans for events, including but not limited to, promotion, programs, and engagement with contractors.
- Planning: The Head of Operations will work with the executive team to develop annual plans, ensure those plans are being effectively executed on and have adequate resources to succeed. They will also be responsible for post-mortem analysis of various programs and initiatives that CCI undertakes.
- Coordination: The Head of Operations will be responsible for ensuring effective coordination between the Research, Communications, and Development Departments.
- Tools: The Head of Operations will ensure CCI has the best work tools, Notion, Zoom, Hubspot, etc, available for our purpose and is using them as necessary to improve our productivity
- Represent: The Head of Operations will represent CCI at various events, strive to participate in speaking opportunities and other ways to boost the brand of CCI.
- Masters degree in Business Administration, International Development, or Economics preferred
- 5+ years experience in an operations role
- Experience in international development
- Management experience
- The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial. They will see processes and other areas that can be improved and take initiative to make those improvements.
- The ideal candidate will have strong organizational skills. They will be able to bring order to chaos and create a structured environment to ensure the CCI team has everything they need to succeed.
- The ideal candidate will be able to communicate effectively, particularly through writing. CCI has a strong writing culture and as we grow it is imperative to ensure effective communication internally and with external stakeholders.
- The ideal candidate has a high level of attention to detail. They ensure that we aren’t missing anything on our programs and research projects.
- The ideal candidate is intellectually curious and has a passion for charter cities.
The Charter Cities Institute greatly values our office culture. Our staff is intellectually curious and enjoys exploring a wide variety of topics, not all of which are directly related to charter cities. We’re a small team, so we frequently go out to lunch as a group, and get drinks together a handful of times per month (this is not required). Candidates should feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work.
The role is for a full time position. The Charter Cities Institute offers health, dental insurance, and 401k. Please send a cover letter and resume (in pdf) to [email protected]
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org