Muso believes no one should die waiting for health care. We build health systems to save lives by reaching patients faster, within hours of the moment they become sick. To do this, we partner with communities facing extreme poverty. Muso has spent more than a decade creating and improving our Proactive Care model, preparing it to serve the global effort for universal health care. We have documented rapid health improvements across the populations we serve: a 2018 study found that communities we reach in Mali, which previously saw some of the world’s highest child mortality rates, sustained child mortality rates lower than any country in sub-Saharan Africa for five years, and ultimately reached a rate on par with that of the United States. Patient access to care increased tenfold. Muso now serves the governments of Mali and Cote d’Ivoire in their efforts to translate the results of this research into national policy and practice.
We provide proactive health care to 330,000 patients in peri-urban and rural Mali, and embed rigorous academic research and strategic advocacy to identify and share strategies that can accelerate global efforts for child survival, maternal health, and universal health care. Given the transformations in health care access and survival Muso has documented, over the next five years our direct service, research, and advocacy will work to advance a new model of care for community health systems. Learn more about our work at www.musohealth.org.
About the Position
Muso is growing exponentially. We plan to grow our budget from $11 million in 2020 to up to $22 million per year by 2023 in order to support us to reach up to one million patients across two to three countries and improve care for tens of millions of people through changes in global policy and practice. The Communications Manager will build and execute the organization’s communications strategy, defining and driving multi-channel engagement efforts to amplify Muso’s work and advocacy goals across key stakeholder audiences, and make new ones aware of and enthused about our work.
We seek a superb communications leader, strategist and gifted storyteller who can present Muso’s work in a way that communicates the urgency of the injustices we confront, shares the groundbreaking impact we pursue, tells the story of our model, engages global partners to catalyze Muso’s scale-up, and accelerates efforts to save millions of lives. This role will lead articulation of strategic communications goals, create written content, manage media engagement, and build communications collateral. The Communications Manager partners closely with Muso’s Graphic Designer to tell the story of our purpose, our patients, our model, our impact, and the change that is possible for us to create together with the global community.
Reports to: Chief Partnerships Officer
Manages: Graphic Designer; one-year Communications Fellows on an as-needed basis
Department: Development, Partnerships, and Communications
Location: San Francisco
Marketing strategy development and iteration:
- Collaborate with the Chief Partnerships Officer to guide overall the communication & marketing strategy. Align the branding, messaging, and voice with Muso’s mission, values, and goals while ensuring consistency across offices.
- Set, evaluate, and evolve goals and strategies to increase engagement, awareness, and overall effectiveness. Build and execute communication strategies, to amplify Muso’s work and advocacy goals and bring in targeted new audiences, with a primary goal of building new funding partnerships.
Build sub-strategies including:
- Develop and implement media coverage and PR strategy to grow mentions of Muso’s work in relevant fora
- Develop and implement website SEO strategy. Oversee and support the Graphic Designer to evolve content, with the intent to attract and engage targeted audiences
- Manage the strategy, content and delivery of e-mail communications throughout the year
- Oversee and propose social media strategies insights in partnership with Major Gift Officer and Graphic Designer to reach and engage targeted audiences on social media with the goal of increasing Muso following and donations. This could include:
- Identity and implement a social media management tools (all-in-one platform for publishing, engagement & analytics of all channels)
- Identify funding for and execute paid social media, pay-per-click and SEM strategies through opportunities like Google Ad grants as deemed worthwhile
- Monitor and report the impact of our communications strategy by establishing performance measurement tools and relevant KPIs for website, e-newsletter, and social pages
- Project manage engagement and fundraising campaigns as needed, including Muso’s End of Year campaign, in partnership with Major Gifts Officer (written pieces, collateral, objectives, and engagement strategies)
- Media relations: Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage of Muso’s priorities, programs, special events, and public announcements on organizational progress
Communications generation and oversight:
- Content development:
- Develop external content on social media platforms in partnership with Graphic Designer (on a weekly basis)
- Develop, oversee, and support development of external content including e-newsletters, stories, blogs, and other multi-media content for individuals audience on Muso’s updates, work, and progresses (on a monthly and/or quarterly basis)
- Manage the drafting, review, and completion of Muso’s annual report, quarterly reports and quarterly e-newsletters
- Ensure Muso’s website content remains up-to-date and reflective of programmatic progress
- Monitor media platforms and track relevant thought leaders in the field, promoting opportunities to engage in relevant global conversations where Muso’s work can contribute learnings (on a weekly basis)
- Collaborate with Communications Fellow and photographers in Mali and Côte d’Ivoire to ensure regular additions to Muso’s photo library to reflect programmatic updates
- Oversee the development and content updating of branded materials, including slide decks, printed reports, one-pagers, and posters, in partnership with the Development team and as-needed for country offices
- Work with Graphic Designer to maintain organization of current and historic Muso collateral and photos
- Event preparation: Develop slide decks, posters, press releases, or any other needed collateral in partnership with Graphic Designer
- Commitment to social justice and global health equity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and spoken)
- Ability to proactively develop, implement, and evaluate communications strategy and campaigns
- At least 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience in marketing and communications, including substantive project management experience; proven ability to develop a successful strategic communications and messaging program targeting a wide variety of audiences that engage, inform, and motivate
- Superb attention to detail; an expert proofreader
- Flexibility and ability to adapt in a rapidly-growing team and organization
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and produce high-quality work in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively across departments, cultures, and time zones
- Experience with social media management (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn) and analytics and scheduling technologies to engage diverse audiences
- Experience with MailChimp (or similar email marketing platform) and donor management CRM software
- A strong understanding of press needs and media relationships
- Experience with SEO strategy and tools and KPIs for digital engagement (e.g., Google Analytics, Ahrefs, NetInsight, Omniture, WebTrends, SEMRush, etc.)
- Experience in optimizing audience/user funnels to drive donations and increased engagement
- English and French proficiency
Not Required, But A Plus
- Understanding of and experience working with global health issues
- Experience in development or communications at a not-for-profit organization
- Experience managing and/or creating videos and/or animated content
- Experience with the Wix website platform
- An eye for photography, video, layout, and design
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is $60,000-$65,000 commensurate with experience. A health insurance package will be included. This position will receive 20 days of vacation annually and one sick day per month based on date of hire, as well as major US holidays. This role will also receive support for professional development opportunities.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to [email protected] with the subject line “Communications Manager.” Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The application deadline is rolling, but interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Muso is an equal opportunity employer.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org