The Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) has been operating since 2012 under the auspices of the Secretary-General of the United Nations to support the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. It is directed by Professor Jeffrey D. Sachs, SDG Advocate, and has offices in New York, Paris, and Kuala Lumpur.
Intern, Food/Land Team
6 months full time remote, spring 2021 (start date flexible)
Posting Date: February 10, 2021
The Intern will work in the Food/Land Team of SDSN, which focuses on finding solutions to improve the sustainability of food and land-use systems worldwide through both modeling tools and policy analysis. It is part of the wider Food and Land Use Coalition(FOLU). The Food/Land Team includes the secretariat of the Food, Agriculture, Biodiversity, Land-Use, and Energy (FABLE) Consortium, a 20-country research that develops long-term pathways towards sustainable land-use and food systems, and the team developing the Food, Environment, Land Use and Development (FELD) Action Tracker, which is designed to support countries to devise, implement, and share experience of effective policies for making their food and land-use systems sustainable.
The Food/Land Intern will work across both projects to help develop FABLE and FELD's communications and stakeholder engagement strategy, produce outreach material for science and policy audiences, and strengthen the team's technical knowledge through literature reviews and policy analysis.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Communication and stakeholder engagement
• Support strategy development and prepare outreach materials to promote FABLE and FELD publications
• Develop visual communication materials to translate scientific findings for policy audiences
• Draft topical briefings for FABLE and FELD stakeholders
• Support the planning of and preparations for stakeholder workshops and other meetings
2. Research and analysis
The Intern will be help strengthen the team’s knowledge of topics of relevance to FABLE and FELD, including through policy and/or technical analyses.
• Literature review(s) on topic(s) of relevance to FABLE and FELD
• Review of targeted national policies for inclusion in the FELD action tracker
• Development and elaboration of additional documents
• Support development of new scenarios in FABLE Calculator
• Candidates must have the right to hold an internship in France (i.e. the ability to obtain a « convention de stage » from a university, which is obligatory for all internships in France). SDSN Association Paris is not able to sponsor visas.
• Excellent writing skills, including ideally the ability to write scientific material for different audiences
• Strong analytical thinking and synthesis skills
• Attention to detail
• Diplomatic sensitivity
• Ability to work in a team
• Excellent oral and written English. Full proficiency in another language would be a plus
• Experience in the topic of food and land-use would be a plus
• Good knowledge of Excel would be a plus
Candidates should be pursuing an advanced degree in economics, international relations, environmental studies, political science, or any other related fields. They must be enrolled in a certified degree program (or be able to obtain a Convention de stage from their university) and have the right to hold an internship in France.
The internship will be compensated at the standard minimum hourly rate.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org