The Markets and Trade Division (EST) monitors and analyses trends in international, regional and national agricultural commodity markets, collecting and disseminating comprehensive market and policy information concerning the major traded commodities and those important to food security. It also undertakes forward-looking outlook studies. The Division analyses global issues that affect agricultural trade, including policy analysis of trade measures and agreements, and provides technical support and capacity building to member states in all these areas. Through its Global Information and Early Warning Service, the Division is also responsible for FAO’s early warnings on food shortfalls. The Division houses the secretariats of the Committee on Commodity Problems (CCP), nine Intergovernmental Commodity Groups (IGGs) and the Agricultural Market Information System (AMIS).
The post is located in the Raw Materials, Horticulture and Tropical Products Team.
The Economist reports to the Senior Economist, Team Leader, Raw Materials, Horticulture and Tropical Products Team, under the overall guidance of the Division’s Director.
Analytical work on commodity markets and trade, projections, and price and policy analysis for Raw Materials, Horticulture and Tropical Products.
Comprehensive technical, statistical, analytical and/or policy analysis services and the development of specialized tools, methodologies, systems and/or databases to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of the programme of work and related products, projects, publications, and services
- Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams and short term work groups, leads and/or participates on Divisional teams, participates on Organization-wide committees, project teams, and working groups and provides specialized expertise on international technical networks and or technical policy and standard setting bodies.
- Develops technical, statistical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related tools, methodologies, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of the programmes of work, products, projects, and services.
- Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative tools and methodologies, flagship publications/technical reports and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical specialist and/or policy advice and expertise.
- Responds to requests and provides technical/policy advice, assistance and solutions to Regional, Sub-Regional, and Country Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects.
- Promotes international cooperation and collaboration, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international meetings and conferences.
- Collaborates in capacity development activities involving knowledge sharing, the organization of training workshops, seminars, and meetings as well as the development of related materials and on-line tools and information kits.
- Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with Corporate strategy and Divisional plans.
- Undertakes advanced economic research on the main factors affecting the markets of Raw Materials, Horticulture and Tropical Products; analyses price trends and developments, marketing arrangements and trade policy measures; and prepares projections, conduct simulation analysis, and assess trade and national policies;
- Develops and supervises the development and maintenance of databases for commodities and agricultural trade;
- Plans, organizes and services meetings of Intergovernmental Groups (IGGs) for the commodities covered by the Team;
- Provides advice to countries on the development, implementation and monitoring of relevant technical assistance projects on agricultural commodities, and conducts technical backstopping;
- Supports the production of the OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook report for the commodities under the responsibility of the Team and ensures any required follow-up activity;
- Prepares and contributes to the preparation of reports, papers, notes, policy briefs and statement for senior management in the area of agricultural markets and trade and related issues;
- Conducts capacity development at country and regional levels;
- Prepares project proposals for extra-budgetary funding;
- Represents the Division and FAO in relevant meetings, conference and events;
- Develops and maintains partnerships and collaboration with internal and external partners;
- Perform other tasks and duties, as required.
- Advanced university degree in economics, agricultural economics or a related field
- Seven years of relevant experience in economic research and quantitative analysis, including experience in international agricultural commodity markets and trade, economic modelling and database management
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance experience in advanced economic research and analysis, including the use of statistical and econometrics methods and relevant software
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative commodity price and policy analysis and in policy advice to countries
- Proven strong experience in database development and management
- Extent of knowledge of the problems of developing countries and in the formulation, monitoring and evaluation of commodity development projects
- Ability to mobilize extra-budgetary resources
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org