The Urban Land Institute (ULI) is a global research and education nonprofit organization whose mission is to shape the future of the built environment for transformative impact in communities worldwide. ULI Americas implements its mission through 42 local district councils across the United States. ULI Washington is the second-largest district council, with 2,300 members in the Washington, D.C., metro area.
ULI Washington is searching for a Manager to join our small and collaborative team that serves local members in the real estate and land use profession and fosters relationships, learning, and leadership that meaningfully affect their careers, their communities, and the industry. This position is currently remote but is based in Washington, D.C., and will require attendance at inperson meetings and events in the future. We are looking for someone who is interested in staying with the team over the long term to grow ULI membership and impact.
The Manager position is a great opportunity for someone interested in working with regional industry and public and nonprofit leaders to address critical land use and development
challenges. The Manager works closely with the Executive Director, ULI Washington staff, and members to implement ULI Washington’s strategic plan; oversee marketing, communications, and technical assistance panels (TAPs); and support diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives and member-based committees, programs, and events.
The ideal candidate will have four to six years of experience, familiarity with the real estate and land use industry, and relationships in the public and private sectors. The Manager must have excellent written communication and public speaking skills. Experience with social media, website management, email communications, presentations, and/or annual reports is preferred. The Manager should have a strong commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within the industry and region and experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Marketing and Communications
The Manager will work closely with the Executive Director to advance the awareness and
influence of ULI Washington. Responsibilities include:
- Creating and implementing a marketing and communications plan.
- Creating and staffing a Marketing and Communications Committee.
- Managing communications initiatives, including, but not limited to, newsletters, email
- blasts, press releases, and annual reports.
- Oversee and ensure timely, high-quality content on ULI Washington’s website and social
- media accounts.
- Measuring and tracking the effectiveness of marketing and communications plans and initiatives.
Technical Assistance Panels (TAPs)
The Manager will oversee ULI Washington’s TAP program that convenes panels of ULI member
experts to advise local jurisdictions, nonprofit entities, and other regional organizations on local
real estate and land use challenges. Responsibilities include:
- Building relationships with public-sector and nonprofit partners and developing a pipeline
- of possible TAPs.
- Managing all aspects of TAPs, including contracting, recruiting TAP panelists, developing
- briefing materials, logistics of virtual or in-person TAPs, supporting panel meetings and
- presentations, and overseeing TAP report production.
- Implementing three to four TAPs per year.
- Managing and supporting the ULI Washington TAP Committee.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Manager will support the DEI Steering Committee and subcommittees and the
implementation of ULI Washington’s DEI Action Plan. Responsibilities include:
- Fostering relationships and partnerships with organizations and universities serving
- diverse professionals and students and organizations promoting industry and regional
- Overseeing the Pathways to Initiative program that provides complementary membership,
- programming, and networking opportunities to industry professionals from underrepresented groups.
- Providing administrative, logistical, program, and event support to the DEI Steering
- Committee and subcommittees.
- Tracking and reporting progress on ULI Washington’s DEI goals.
Events and Membership Engagement
The Manager will support several member-based committees and event planning and execution.
- Working with committee members to identify speakers and align the content and impact
- priorities of ULI Washington.
- Attending meetings and events and ensuring high-quality execution.
- Measuring, tracking, and reporting on membership retention and engagement.
- Ensuring a positive member experience through ongoing engagement and retention.
- Develops and maintains strong and productive working relationships with district council
- and ULI headquarters staff.
- Actively engages with and develops excellent relationships with ULI Washington members
- and partners, including committee leaders, general members, corporate partners,
- prospects, vendors, collaborative partner organizations, and consultants.
- 4-6 years of related professional experience; experience or interest in real estate, land use,
- and/or planning preferred.
- Communications and marketing experience.
- Excellent written communication skills, including exceptional spelling and grammar.
- Excellent oral communication skills, including public speaking and presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working directly with senior executives.
- Strong organizational and project/program management skills.
- Experience managing teams preferred.
- Proactive, positive attitude and a team player
- Self-starter; displays initiative and completes work on time with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and follow through on assignments.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Proficiency with social media applications, website publishing, Adobe Creative Suite,
- video editing, graphic design preferred.
- When in-person events return, ability to attend ULI events, including in the early morning or
- evening. Use of personal vehicle may occasionally be required for local travel.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Degree in communications/marketing, business/public
- administration, or related degree desirable.
To apply, please follow the link below. Please submit a résumé and a letter of interest. ULI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org