Contract: Fixed term of 6 months with the possibility to extend
Part-Time: 25 hours per week
Starting Salary: Pro-rated gross monthly salary of EUR 2,326.00 plus 13th month
Applications are sought from persons interested in employment at the Australian Embassy in Brussels engaged on local terms and conditions of employment as a Locally Engaged Staff member. Please be advised that the Embassy does not provide relocation assistance and any costs associated with taking up the position would be the responsibility of the successful candidate.
About the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
The role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally. This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high-quality overseas aid program and helping Australian travellers and Australians overseas.
The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government. DFAT also works with other Australian government agencies to drive coordination of Australia’s pursuit of global, regional and bilateral interests.
About the Position
The Public Diplomacy and Social Media Officer for the Australian Mission to the European Union and NATO and Embassy to Belgium and Luxembourg in Brussels is a key member of the Public Diplomacy and FTA Advocacy team and will work closely with the Political and Economic sections.
The role supports the delivery of the Embassy’s public diplomacy program to promote Australia’s interests in the European Union, Belgium and Luxembourg. The officer will work with various Embassy staff and cross-government departments to enhance positive community engagement for Australia in the European Union, Belgium and Luxembourg and to create dynamic digital content to support the Embassy’s public diplomacy strategy. The officer will be responsible for assisting with the Embassy’s public diplomacy activities, official visits by Australian ministers and senior officials as required.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Produce high quality digital content in line with the Embassy Public Diplomacy strategy and present it in an engaging way across various digital channels;
- Conceptualise, implement and run successful social media campaigns;
- Monitor social media conversation, measure and identify ways to enhance the Embassy’s web-based content and digital presence;
- Ensure content adheres to appropriate policy and legal requirements;
- Provide strategic communications advice on how to promote Australia’s core foreign, trade, development and cultural interests in the European Union Belgium and Luxembourg;
- Support the forward planning of communications and social media activities surrounding events, projects and visits;
- Assist with media enquiries and proactively seek communication opportunities to place positive stories about Australia and Embassy initiatives in Brussels-based EU, Belgian and Luxembourg media;
- Assist with planning and organising Embassy events, including managing invitations, liaising with external stakeholders and maintaining the Embassy’s contacts data base (Salesforce);
- Develop and maintain networks for outreach purposes in institutions, media, business, academia and NGOs.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Excellent knowledge of digital communication and social media coordination in the public relations/policy fields;
- Demonstrated fluency with core digital media platforms, including social media listening and analytics. Experience developing and delivering digital campaigns;
- Experienced in producing high quality digital content including on Imovie, web design and publishing;
- A high level of proficiency in Mac/PC operating systems or ability to learn;
- Sound interpersonal skills and an ability to represent, network and establish effective stakeholder relationships;
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited supervision, exercise initiative and good judgement, a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, flexibility and adaptability;
- Ability to cultivate good relationships with others, including ability to work in a team;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- An understanding of the EU institutional context;
- Demonstrated event and project management experience;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Dutch with an ability to translate and interpret between English and Dutch. A good working knowledge of French would also be beneficial.
- Candidates must have, or able to obtain, an ability to work in Belgium;
- High level skills in IT and internet are essential. Applicants being considered for the position may be required to undertake a test to demonstrate their capacity to use such software.
Please address each of the selection criteria for the role in the spaces provided on the application form. Drawing on your prior experience, please provide examples of where you have demonstrated the required competencies or transferable skills.
The word limit is strictly 300 words per response. The panel will not assess responses that exceed the word limit.
- Demonstrated experience supporting and implementing strategic communication and community engagement strategies, including the creation of digital content for a variety of digital platforms;
- Ability to communicate and work effectively across all organisational levels and build strong relationships with all stakeholders;
- Well-developed planning and organisational capabilities, demonstrating the ability to work under pressure, prioritise tasks and show initiative in developing and implementing key public events for the Embassy;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in preparing tailored media messaging both in English and desirable Dutch and or French;
- High level of IT literacy with an ability to manage electronic documents and content management systems, ensuring on-going compliance with policy guidelines. With a strong proficiency with Mac/PC operating systems.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org