The Wall Street Journal is looking for an experienced Graphics Reporter to join a new team focused on fast and creative approaches to visual journalism for digital audiences. This is less of a 'breaking news' desk and more of a hub for quickly focusing on the biggest stories, trends, news and information of the day and week. This team is an engine that drives top coverage themes and visual opportunities for the broader graphics team.
You will bring your own strong ideas to the table, and collaborate with other reporters, editors and visual journalists to create news graphics, interactive stories, multimedia, and data visualizations. You will be endlessly curious and comfortable in a role at the intersection of journalism, graphics, design, data and technology.
You will start this job remotely, but eventually be based in our New York office. You will report to one of our visual editors.
- Identify the top visual opportunities of the day and week, in alignment with our editorial priorities.
- Identify topics that might be 'off-the-news' but of interest at the time.
- Collaborate with reporters, editors and other visual journalists to pitch ideas and complete stories.
- Report and research original visual stories.
- Think broadly about the opportunities provided by different visual formats, as well as approaches that are appropriate for deadlines.
- Create graphics and visual projects for same-day turnaround, as well as projects that may take longer.
- Work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines, making sound decisions around story angles and technical approaches.
- Help edit other visual stories that are created in the department.
- Help reporters and editors learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
- At least three years of experience working in a newsroom.
- Demonstrated experience with information graphics and multimedia journalism for digital audiences.
- A good understanding of business and financial topics, with the flexibility to work as a generalist.
- Excellent news judgment with research and reporting skills.
- Superior skills in information design, including layout, typography, and UX.
- At least one or two specialties that might include 3D, animation, cartography, or data visualization.
- Good knowledge of responsive design, the technical nuances of the digital platforms, and best practices for building stories for mobile devices.
- A creative vision and willingness to share and collaborate on new ideas.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving environment.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org