About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) is a major philanthropic initiative working to help tackle the climate crisis by fostering the development of a net-zero emission society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 300 partner organisations to carry out activities that drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement, contribute to the public debate on climate action and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
The ECF is brings together diverse perspectives and backgrounds to find the best innovative solutions to tackle climate change. We are focusing on engaging and hiring great people from a wide diversity of backgrounds to strengthen the cause. If you share our values of respect, innovation, and collaboration, join us.
Context of the role
The buildings sector is responsible for 40% of final energy demand in Europe and 36% of energy related GHG emissions. The objective of the ECF’s building programme is to accelerate the transition to a zero carbon building stock by reducing energy demand of buildings while decarbonising the heating system, and doing so in a just, equitable and inclusive manner. This will require putting in place policies to phase out poor quality buildings and to power residents’ energy demands from low carbon heat supplies, aligning the interests of a broad set of stakeholders and ensuring well-designed financing mechanisms for the investment needed. We focus on the EU level, national level and local level policies.
A small and committed team, each with his/her own responsibilities and topics, manages the Buildings programme. He/she will report to the Director of the Buildings programme.
- Research activities & prospecting: scoping the landscape around local and national buildings politics and advocacy, as well as identifying potential new projects & grantees;
- Strategic implementation: supporting the ECF Country and Building programmes in implementing ECF’s strategy and priorities, especially in countries; More broadly, the post holder will contribute on issues related to building renovation, engaging with grantees and partners, monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of initiatives and grants; and acting as a liaison to report regular progress to external partners;
- Networking: building partnerships with key individuals across the policymaking, business and civil society communities in its countries of operation and Europe; convening meetings; representing ECF Buildings programme at meetings and organising follow-up;
- Project management: supporting the Director to monitor strategies and grants, and the delivery of key work stream deliverables through frequent communication with partners, colleagues and funders, ensuring accountability;
- Grantmaking: developing the scope of work for different ECF projects; soliciting proposals from potential partners and commissioning studies from consultants; which will be validated by the director;
- Internal coordination and communication: S/he will liaise with other ECF programmes where appropriate, including the organisation’s operations and communications teams to ensure proper and timely dissemination of information, and consistency and complementarity of different projects and work streams.
Experience and competencies
We are looking for a colleague with the following qualifications:
- Genuine interest in the mission and values of the ECF;
- 5-8 years of relevant work experience in a relevant area of policy, preferably related to climate change, (technical) buildings work, and/or finance;
- A university degree in a relevant subject;
- A good understanding of energy and climate issues, particularly as pertinent to the building sector, as well as the policy implementation challenges;
- Results-oriented with a commitment to deliver high quality work, complemented by excellent attention to detail;
- An independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a team;
- Good collaboration and influencing skills;
- Excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written), as well as another European language;
- Positive attitude and a sense of humour.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position-employment conditions can change based on the location.
Preferably Berlin or Paris. Other ECF locations can be considered.
Start date: As soon as possible
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org