At the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism, our mission is to train journalists and media professionals at all stages of their career. Our professional development and executive education programs summarized under J+ are among the most innovative in the field, and are a constantly growing and increasingly impactful part of our portfolio.
To better market our existing programs, such as the Entrepreneurial Journalism Creators Program, our programs for professional development, or our cohort-based custom product management trainings; and to ensure ongoing communication about exciting new programs and initiatives in the field of media innovation we will be launching in 2021, we are looking for an Outreach & Communications Manager.
Working closely with and reporting to the Director of Strategic Initiatives, the Outreach & Communications Manager will be responsible for the digital communication, community engagement and outreach efforts connected to our continuing education initiatives at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism. Your stakeholders are potential applicants or clients, existing funders and partners, and participants and alumni of our professional development programs. You will make sure the external voice of our forward-thinking continuing education programs is consistent, engaging and representative of our diverse community and aligned closely with the communications strategy of the entire school.
- Producing and editing content for the J+ website and all related social media and digital communication channels, such as newsletters
- Leading J+ organic social media efforts on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook by creating original posts, sharing updates and retweeting/amplifying posts by instructors, partners, students or alumni
- Creating and templatizing materials for custom program sales and student recruitment, such as fact sheets, onepagers, program description folders, landing pages or other marketing materials
- Working closely with the school’s marketing team under the Assistant Dean of External Affairs to ensure consistent timelines, metrics and communication guidelines
- Working with the Associate Director Professional Development to produce copy for paid social campaigns around our admissions periods for various programs
- Editing article drafts from freelance content producers
- Organizing and executing (virtual) outreach and community events, such as webinars, Q&A, reunions, admissions events or showcases related to the J+ programs
Who you are:
The ideal candidate is a creative communicator with a passion for data & metrics, responsible for advancing the visibility of J+ in the industry and telling the stories of our mission, our programs and our participants. You are a meticulous writer and editor, love social media, and enjoy creating convincing marketing and sales materials. You have experience in the media and/or higher education industry. You are passionate about sustainability, innovation and transformation in journalism and enjoy elevating diverse voices and perspectives.
You will have:
- Excellent writing, grammar, and editing skills, including experience with and knowledge of writing for marketing purposes
- Experience producing content for digital communications, including web, newsletters and social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Mailchimp, Slack and others)
- High tech literacy and a passion for new technology and communication tools, new social media platforms, innovation and experimentation
- Attention to detail; a proven ability to triage and resolve problems on the fly and to juggle different projects in different timezones in parallel
- A passion for teamwork, communication and collaboration with a diverse and international community of students, instructors and external stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Master's degree preferred but not required
- Some visual design expertise or video creation expertise is a plus
What you can expect:
- We are a small, nimble team passionate about the transformation of the journalism industry, and you will have extensive opportunities to work on exciting initiatives
- This position is based in NYC but, for the duration of the contract, will work remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Applicants must be based in the U.S.
- While many coordination meetings or external events will take place between 9 am ET and 5 pm ET, there is some flexibility in scheduling your other tasks.
This is a full-time role (1-year contract with possibility for extension). If you are interested in applying but have childcare or other responsibilities that would require flexible hours or a 75-80% role, please do apply and make sure to mention this in your application.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org