The Women’s Foreign Policy Group seeks a dynamic and dedicated full-time, Washington, DC-based Executive Director to lead its efforts to advance the leadership and professional development of women in international affairs.
WFPG is looking for an individual who is creative, entrepreneurial, and has the vision to effectively advance the organization's mission. The Executive Director drives the organization’s overall strategy, fundraising, membership, operations, and is responsible for developing global issues and mentoring programming, as well as maintaining and growing its membership and partnerships with the wider foreign policy community. Candidates must be flexible, detail-oriented, and comfortable in a small active organization, which requires multi-tasking, independence, and teamwork. The team currently consists of one additional full-time staff member and three to four interns each semester. The Executive Director reports directly to and works closely with a distinguished and engaged Board of Directors.
WFPG is a non-partisan membership network that works to advance women’s leadership and amplify their voices in international affairs through in-depth policy discussions and mentoring, connecting women across generations and sectors, and to support women at every stage of their careers through mentoring and professional development. wfpg.org
- Work closely with board members on strategic planning and expanding WFPG’s visibility and impact.
- Develop a strategy for the organization’s next three to five years.
Program Development and Delivery
- Conceive, execute, and occasionally moderate approximately 25 high-level, substantive global issues programs, as well as manage and develop mentoring/professional development programming each year.
- Ability to assess event programs to meet the evolving needs and interests of the organization and its members, as well as influencers, students, and policymakers.
- Identify and book speakers and moderators for programs, with support from the Board.
- Represent the organization at career panels, forums, foreign embassies, international organizations, and partner organizations.
Membership and Fundraising
- Cultivate key donors, pursue partnership and grant opportunities, and serve as the primary fundraiser for the organization.
- Lead all efforts to maintain and expand membership.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to support their fundraising efforts.
- Develop and execute the organization’s annual benefit luncheon.
Management and Administration
- Responsible for all aspects of the organization’s day-to-day operations, keeping them in line with the board’s vision.
- Build and maintain an effective working relationship with the Board, regularly reporting on organizational activities, coordinating its meetings, and attending all board meetings on an ex-officio basis.
- Develop and oversee the organization's budget and cash flow projections in consultation with the board treasurer.
- Manage the organization's finances and bookkeeping.
- Hire, manage, and lead staff, interns and contractors.
- Oversee all operations, HR functions, organizational risk management efforts (insurance coverage and legal liability), and contracts with consultants and vendors.
- Solicit pro bono resources where needed and maintain relationships with pro bono vendors (law firms, partner organizations, event hosts, etc).
- Demonstrated professional and educational background or equivalent experience in international affairs and a deep commitment to the WFPG’s mission;
- Exceptional and proven manager of people and programming, with superb attention to detail and an ability to remain calm under pressure and meet rapid, multiple deadlines in a fast-paced team-oriented environment;
- Strong network and contacts in foreign policy communities, including the diplomatic corps and with journalists covering foreign affairs and national security;
- Highly motivated self-starter and problem solver with a strong work ethic;
- Able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with a variety of audiences;
- Superb relationship builder with excellent follow through;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals and stakeholders;
- Ability to communicate regularly, and effectively with the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors;
- Track record of successful non-profit development, fundraising, and donor relations;
- Working knowledge of nonprofit finances and budgeting;
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in international affairs or a related field and a minimum of five to seven years of experience in managing a nonprofit organization and/or relevant programming experience;
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, Google Drive, and social media platforms. Familiarity with QuickBooks, MemberClicks or other CRMs, and/or design software is also a plus.
Other Requirements: This position is based in Washington, DC. Work is generally performed in an office setting, but staff may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing the tasks required to complete assignments. Travel to New York and around the DC metro area, as well as occasional extended hours will be required on occasion. Selected candidates must be legally allowed to work in the U.S. without any need for visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience, starting at $90,000, with possibility of bonuses tied to annual goals. Benefits package includes paid annual, sick, and holiday leave; HRA healthcare reimbursement account, 403(b) Roth and traditional retirement plan options, and disability insurance.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted until May 31, 2021. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references here. Qualified candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis. No phone calls.
The WFPG is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for our staff, volunteers, program participants, and community. WFPG seeks and values diversity and inclusion in its activities, and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other historically underrepresented groups to apply. The WFPG will not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and other terms or conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, disability status, marital status, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, political affiliation, genetic information, protected veteran status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org