Our organization was founded in 2013 to address a big gap in the fight against global poverty–many of the most promising interventions are either implemented at a very small scale, or not at all. We set out to address this gap by building programs that would scale evidence-based and cost-effective interventions, leading to significant improvements in quality of life for hundreds of millions of people.
Our model worked. In less than a decade, our two flagship programs, the Deworm the World Initiative and Dispensers for Safe Water, have grown to measurably impact over 280 million people each year. This success is achieved through the dedication and talent of our staff, the hard work of our partners, and the commitment of our supporters.
By 2024, we seek to double our impact. We are strengthening and expanding our existing programs, and working to identify a new generation of evidence-based and cost-effective interventions that we can scale to reach millions more.
Evidence Action has grown quickly over the past few years. As we move into the next phase of organizational growth, we want to increase our visibility and recognition with a wider audience, help shift the development sector to more evidence-based and cost-effective decision-making, and increase and diversify our marketing efforts.
We are looking for a Senior Associate, Communications who has strong writing experience, savviness engaging with digital audiences, and a passion for the mission and vision of Evidence Action, to join our External Relations team. While this position reports directly to the Senior Manager, Communications based in Washington D.C., they will work closely together with other members of the External Relations team and with other teams across the organization based in the USA, multiple countries in Africa and Asia, and Australia.
The ideal candidate:
- is passionate about Evidence Action’s vision, mission, and impact;
- is constantly thinking of creative ways to reach and engage with new audiences in meaningful ways;
- is solution oriented and an adaptable team player who is interested in being part of a fast-paced, growing, and diverse organization with a start-up atmosphere;
- is eager to learn and has a “roll-up your sleeves” mentality;
- is excited to operate with an “evidence first” mindset, where facts and data inform their work and decisions.
Duties and responsibilities
- Interview, research, and write/co-write articles for our blog, website, and external publications. A significant portion of the articles will require delving into complex technical concepts and translating those into clear and compelling language for multiple audiences. Many of these stories require in-depth interviews with different stakeholders and sourcing relevant research materials.
- Write content for use in our digital communications, including social media, press releases, and newsletters.
- Help design campaigns and iterate social media strategies in coordination with external consultants.
- Manage our social media accounts and Content Management System (CMS) for the website.
- Review and regularly update our work planning tools including the editorial calendar and task management system.
- Identify and prepare stories to pitch to media organizations or external platforms.
- Help design and execute marketing and fundraising campaigns in collaboration with our fundraising team.
- Respond to information inquiries and requests for our digital collateral from the media, our partners, and other external and internal parties.
- Support design and implementation of brand management, social media, media, and crisis communications policies.
- Undertake key tasks related to knowledge management and process design.
- Support internal and HR related communications.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications, or marketing; or a bachelor’s degree focused in international development such as public health, international relations, or economics with experience and interest in communications or journalism.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience. Candidates with experience working for a media organization and/or evidence-driven organizations are strongly preferred.
- Strong writing skills. Experience writing articles for a media organization and/or is preferred.
- Experience conducting interviews with people from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Experience managing social media accounts in a professional setting.
- Experience contributing to the creation of marketing and/or fundraising materials.
- High digital literacy and ability to learn new technologies/software.
- An ability to multi-task and track multiple projects, often with minimal supervision.
- Interest in digital and/or graphic communications strategies.
- Curiosity, attentiveness to detail, and strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility/adaptability and commitment to learning.
- Experience with data journalism. Familiarity with data visualization, data analysis, and/or GIS tools is a plus.
- Experience using a Content Management System such as WordPress.
- Experience using Salesforce and Pardot.
- Strong design skills, with experience using Adobe Creative Cloud and other design platforms is a plus.
- Experience with video editing/making software such as Adobe Premiere and AfterEffects.
- Existing relationships with the media.
- An interest in international development.
The position is based in Washington D.C., which has temporarily moved to remote work during the pandemic until mid-2021. However, full-time remote work could be considered for an exceptional candidate. We work with teams spread across the globe and occasionally have early morning /late night meetings.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org