South Texas College is a comprehensive institution, which places primary emphasis on excellence in classroom instruction. Lecturers are expected to demonstrate and maintain competence in each of the following areas throughout their employment at the College.
Note: Lecturer are employed on as needed basis for a semester or one (1) year with no expectation of continued employment or property rights beyond the assignment. Fulling this position is contingent upon sufficient enrollment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Mastery of Subject Matter:
- Demonstrates a thorough and accurate knowledge of the field or discipline
- Possesses appropriate educational/professional credentials to teach in field or discipline
- Attempts to connect subject matter with related fields
- Maintains currency in subject matter
- Teaching Performance:
- Plans and organizes instruction in ways which maximize student learning
- Effectively employs teaching and learning strategies that promote student engagement
- Modifies instructional methods and strategies to meet diverse students needs
- Effectively employs available instructional technology when appropriate
- Encourages the development of communication skills and higher order thinking skills through appropriate assignments
- Effectively communicates subject matter content to student
- Evaluation of Student Learning:
- Develops and uses evaluation methods, which fairly measures student progress toward outcomes
- Evaluates and expeditiously returns student work to promote maximum learning
- Maintains accurate records of student progress
- Submits final grade rosters and supporting documents according to established deadlines
- Support of College Policies and Procedures:
- Maintains familiarity with and adheres to College Policies and Procedures
- Maintains regular office hours to ensure accessibility to students and colleagues
- Prepares, distributes, and submits syllabi and approved course outlines for all assigned sections in accordance with program, division and College procedures
- Prepares and submits First Week Financial Aid Attendance Rosters, Census Rosters, and Learning Outcome Data, by the respective deadlines each semester
- Assures confidentiality
- Participation in College, Division, and Program Activities:
- Attends department meetings and events as requested by College administration
- Participates in professional activities which contribute to the educational goals of the College and its constituents
- Responds in a timely fashion to information requests from College and division administrators and program chairs
- Fosters and maintains effective working relationships with students, colleagues, and supervisors
- Contribution to the Growth and Enhancement of College Mission and Programs:
- Maintains familiarity with College goals, mission, and long-range plans
- Performs professional responsibilities in accordance with pertinent goals, mission, and plans of College, division, and program
- Facilitates recruitment and retention of students
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience:
Applicant must meet the STC credential requirements as published in Board Policy 4151: Academic and Professional Credentials of Faculty located at
Academic and Professional Credentials of Faculty
- Doctorate or Masters degree in Political Science from a regionally accredited institution;
- or a Doctorate or Masters degree with a minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in Political Science.
Specialization in American Politics/Government preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Security Sensitive position: All applicants are subject to a criminal background check under South Texas College policy. In addition, subject to a federal background check.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org