WASH for Business/Environmental Health Specialist/Expert Sought for Consulting Services on Feed the Future Program
We are seeking consulting services of a WASH for Business/Environmental Health Specialist/Expert to support our USAID Feed the Future funded project, Business Drivers for Food Safety (BD4FS).
About Business Drivers for Food Safety (BD4FS)
Inadequate food safety undermines the health and well-being of hundreds of millions of people across the globe each year. Improper food handling practices and poor infrastructure across supply chains increase health risks to consumers, in addition to being root-causes of pre-consumer food loss in the overall food system. BD4FS is partnering with local agri-food actors – growing food businesses (GFBs) – to co-design and implement incentive-based strategies, thereby strengthening their capacities and enabling them to be agents of positive change in the effort to improve food safety, reduce foodborne disease, mitigate pre-consumer food loss, and shrink overall hunger. By focusing on the role of GFBs in improving food safety, the FES team contributes to USAID’s knowledge base, strategies, and methodologies for business-level assistance in food systems. The BD4FS mission is to provide technical assistance and capacity building, develop best-practices and lessons learned, and generate success for entrepreneurs working to improve food safety.
To better understand the interface of WASH with food safety, Food Enterprise Solutions seeks a consultant with expertise in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) or Environmental Health to work with growing food businesses (GFBs) in the following areas:
1. Water supply and access
2. Solid waste management
3. Sanitation systems – including decentralized systems for human waste and industrial discharge
4. Sanitation marketing – market-based models of WASH
5. Hygiene promotion
6. Monitoring and Evaluation
7. Knowledge management
Duties of the WASH for Business Consultant
The consultant will be responsible for summarizing challenges, opportunities, and needs for WASH among GFBs; proposing technical solutions to improve sanitation and hygiene; and providing guidance to ensure that the solutions are feasible, relevant, and sustainable for shared WASH facilities in emerging economies. The geographic focus of this work will be Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
Specific duties are as follows:
· Produce a technical brief that summarizes the current state of knowledge on WASH needs by GFBs – focusing on the challenges/constraints and opportunities/enablers for WASH for business among GFBs with an emphasis on market-based approaches.
· Provide technical input and advice on environmentally appropriate and sustainable financial models for WASH. Include one model that converts “waste products” into value-added products.
· Develop feasible, effective, and culturally appropriate sanitation and hygiene protocols and guidelines for food handlers.
· Identify and help adapt training and communications materials on WASH for GFBs.
· Identify and facilitate connections with a larger community of WASH for business practitioners.
· Advanced university degree in a relevant discipline such as: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering.
· Minimum of five (5) years of professional WASH experience with Government, NGOs or international organizations, and most importantly, private sector food businesses.
Please submit by May 15, 2021:
Send your information with the subject WASH Consultancy to: [email protected].
Food Enterprise Solutions reserves the right to accept or reject all applications. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. FES is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military status.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org