Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned technical assistance and capacity building programmes for parliamentarians; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews the programme budget and relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Produces information and communications products (press releases, feature articles, social media products, brochures, and promotional materials), to include proposing topics, undertaking research, determining appropriate medium and target audience, preparing production plans, and coordinating on the design, printing procedures and distribution.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with stakeholders, by planning facilitating workshops for parliamentarians, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the stakeholders will use to manage the change.
- Supports the Programme Office in actions relative to the administration of human resource activities and procurement matters; provides advice on interpretation and application of administrative policies, regulations and rules.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources and produces tools, publications and multimedia resources customized for the use of parliaments.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Contributes to the effective functioning of the online Global Parliamentary Network and provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, learning programmes, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, roundtables and seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in fact-finding missions to countries within assigned area of responsibility, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science, international relations, international economics, business administration, management, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in administration, budget, and human resources management is required.
- Experience in organizing learning programmes is desirable.
- Experience in producing tools, publications and multimedia resources is desirable.
- Experience working in an international organization is desirable.
- For this position, fluency in English is required; knowledge of Arabic is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org