The future. It’s on you. You & Western Digital. We’ve been storing the world’s data for more than 50 years. Once, storage was the most important thing we could do for data. Now we’re helping the world capture, preserve, access and transform data in a way only we can.
The most game-changing companies, consumers, professionals, and governments come to us for the technologies and solutions they need to capture, preserve, access, and transform their data.
But we can’t do it alone. Today’s exceptional data challenges require your exceptional skills. It’s You & Us. Together, we’re the next big thing in data.
Western Digital® data-centric solutions are found under the G-Technology™, SanDisk®, and WD® brands.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Trade Policy Counsel will help provide trade policy/regulatory monitoring and insights to enable the Company’s Trade Compliance Department to stay on top of trade-related regulatory developments and resulting compliance needs. Furthermore, this position will play an important role in helping Western Digital to develop a strategic approach to plan and implement continuous innovation and improvements in compliance solutions.
- Monitor legal and regulatory developments; distill and clearly communicate their impact to key stakeholders
- Develop and execute regional and multilateral external engagement strategies that include advocating for innovative and effective export control and other trade law approaches that achieves the national security and foreign policy objectives but also keep in sight business realities
- Counsel key stakeholders on trade-related legal and regulatory developments and strategies
- Identify and propose opportunities to reduce complexity and mitigate risk, including through automated solutions
- Help to strategize on training and strategic communication of trade regulatory requirements to ensure compliance globally and to elevate the reputation of Trade Compliance team
- Help improve decision-making on key compliance issues by managing a coordinated and effective approach to a complex problem
- Contribute to the development of compliance roadmap and strategic planning.
- Promote a business culture of trade compliance and ethics and conduct other compliance activities.
- Juris Doctor or international equivalent
- 5+ years working as a practicing attorney in government agency, law firm or in-house legal department
- Experience partnering with government agencies responsible for trade laws/regulations, including export controls
- Ability to understand technology, especially encryption
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including skills in simplying complex technical trade issues for executives
- Experience in and knowledge of EAR (especially Categories 3 and 5) and export controls generally, CBP and international Customs regulations and best practices, TAA, FTRs, classification (hardware and software)
- Working knowledge of Encryption and Mass Market classification determinations
- Knowledge of export regulations of countries other than U.S., a plus
- Experience with ethics and compliance program management and/or development, a plus
- Experience working, managing and driving multi-functional projects to completion
- Excellent and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally and collaboratively
- Flexible, hardworking team player and motivator with strong people skills
- Action- and results-oriented
- Instills trust
- Resilient and able to quickly adjust priorities to meet business needs
- Attention to detail, critical thinking, excellent problem solving and analysis skills
- Nimble learner and quick to learn new and different technologies and stay abreast of emerging technologies
- Experience working with engineering and R&D teams
- Ability to make good decisions based on sound judgement
- Able to work independently with little supervision
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org