Org. Setting and Reporting
ICAO's activities in the environment field aim to limit or reduce the impact of international aviation on noise, local air quality and the global climate. This position is situated in the Environmental Standards Section (ES) within the Air Transport Bureau (ATB) in ICAO.The Section is responsible for the development of Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs), conducting quantitative studies and assessment of environmental benefits, and providing guidance on aircraft noise, aircraft engine emissions (local air quality), and aeroplane CO2 emissions. The Section maintains all volumes of Annex 16 - Environmental Protection and databases on aircraft noise, aircraft engine emissions, and aeroplane CO2 emissions in cooperation with the Aviation Data and Analysis Section. It also provides support to the Assembly, the Council, the Air Navigation Commission (ANC), the Air Transport Committee (ATC) and the Committee on Aviation Environmental Protection (CAEP).
The incumbent reports to the Chief, Environmental Standards Section (C/ES). In this context, the incumbent will support C/ES and Environment Officers in the work related to a Long Term Aspirational Goal for CO2 emissions reductions, including associated work on the topics of sustainable aviation fuels, technology and operations innovations.
Function 1 (incl. Expected results)
Undertakes assessments related to the prioritization of the work on a Long Term Aspirational Goal (LTAG), achieving results such as:
- Conduct analyses to further the work on the feasibility of a long-term global aspirational goal for international aviation CO2 emissions reduction.
- Contribute to the work on the presentation of options associated with the feasibility of a long-term global aspirational goal for international aviation CO2 emissions reduction, followed by a roadmap for implementation, for consideration by the 41st Session of the ICAO Assembly.
- Contribute to the LTAG technical work including liaising with industry and other relevant stakeholders.
- Support the ongoing and planned initiatives and actions, including innovative technologies, and partnerships amongst States and industry.
- Participate in the work of CAEP related to LTAG.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Assesses public information on worldwide innovations on CO2 emissions reductions including sustainable aviation fuels, technology and operations, and carries out quantitative analyses, achieving results such as:
- Critically assess data and information on innovative research and development, programmes, market studies, financing, user contracts and agreements, flight tests and demonstrations, and commercial flights to assist the work of CAEP in relation to the LTAG work.
- Review technical reports, market assessments, technology evaluations, and similar reports and data, and prepare periodic updates on the state of development and deployment of evolutionary and novel measures to reduce CO2 emissions.
- Maintain estimates/forecasts of evolutionary and novel measures to reduce CO2 emissions, including sustainable aviation fuels availability, technology and operations.
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Leads, undertakes analyses and supports the work on the assessment of aviation in-sector CO2 emissions reductions, achieving results such as:
- Collect information from Member States and other stakeholders on the in-sector emissions reduction opportunities through sustainable aviation fuels, aircraft technology improvements, innovations and operational improvements and prepare periodic updates for C/ES.
- Coordinate the aggregation of information, monitors and assesses CO2 emissions reduction potential for international civil aviation.
- Advise on a series of actions to consolidate the CO2 emissions reduction potential for international civil aviation.
- Manage and prepare events associated with the assessment of aviation in-sector CO2 emissions reductions.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Coordinates and assists in the development and preparation of events, material, documentation, reports, and presentations related to Environment, achieving results such as:
- Coordinate the development of documentation and presentations related to meetings associated with sustainable aviation fuels.
- Coordinate the development of documentation and presentations related to meetings associated with in-sector emissions reduction opportunities through aircraft technology improvements, innovations and operational improvements.
- Conduct research as required and provides material to be published on the ICAO Environmental website.
- Draft replies to public enquiries on environment, particularly related to tools and data.
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Professionalism: Knowledge in the development and preparation of environmental projects. Knowledge of ICAO functions and international activities. Good knowledge of civil aviation environment issues and familiarity with the work of other related international organizations. Exceptional communication skills – both written and verbal. Ability to work successfully in a consensus based system and to advocate effectively. Knowledge of ICAO Environmental work; Knowledge of CORSIA. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- A first level university degree, preferably in engineering, mathematics, science, statistics or in a related field.
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in an international civil aviation environment, airport, airline or environmental organization and sound background on sustainable aviation fuels, operations and technology associated with CO2 emissions reductions of which should be two years at the international level is required.
- Experience in providing service to international meetings is required.
- Experience in international environmental policies within ICAO is desirable.
- Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
- A working knowledge of any other language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org