The (Senior) Policy Manager is responsible for increasing IPA’s policy impact through strengthening the execution of IPA’s global policy strategy and outreach and providing dotted line oversight of a portfolio of country policy teams. He/she will work closely with country office management and policy staff to identify, cultivate, and manage high impact policy opportunities in these countries. These high-impact projects will include equipping partners to pursue scale-up opportunities; developing embedded evidence labs for capacity-building with Ministry partners; building strategic partner relationships; and hosting/managing policy events. The (Senior) Policy Manager will work closely with the Director of Policy & External Relations to develop funding opportunities to resource strategic policy projects and initiatives across IPA. The (Senior) Policy Manager will also work closely with the Associate Director of Policy to manage the global policy team, while equipping IPA’s Research & Policy team with policy impact strategies, tools, and skills at the sector and global levels.
Support global policy impact (30%)
- Work closely with the Associate Director of Policy to support the development and communication of IPA’s policy impact strategy to ensure that evidence is sought, used, and applied at scale by decision-makers (including practitioners, policy makers, and funders)
- Work closely with the Associate Director of Policy to manage a high functioning global policy team
- Proactively identify policy fundraising and policy-relevant business development opportunities, and lead the pursuit of these opportunities in collaboration with global and country office-based staff
- Combine insights from disparate areas of research into policy lessons for decision-makers who want to apply IPA research to their policies and programs.
- Write and/or ghost write original blog posts, briefs, website content, and other materials communicating IPA’s policy impact and strategy to internal and external stakeholders.
- Create original materials to communicate IPA’s policy lessons to internal and external stakeholders.
- Represent IPA in policy conversations and at events.
- Coordinate grant reporting and deliverable management for a handful of global policy grants.
- Collaborate extensively across programmatic and functional teams at IPA to deliver on our policy strategy and share lessons across teams and contexts.
Equip global Research & Policy Team and Country Programs for policy impact (20%)
- Build IPA staff capacity to share evidence strategically and build strategic partnerships through: developing and delivering focused training on policy skills; supporting teams to understand and use the policy Minimum Must Dos; building knowledge across teams on how to build a policy engagement strategy; and other policy tools
- Build and socialize onboarding and training modules for policy skills for staff across the organization, including training / reference materials on how to do basic policy engagement work (target audience: Country Directors, Research Managers, Research Coordinators)
Oversee a portfolio of country policy teams (50%)
- Provide functional expertise in policy outreach and on the global body of evidence to Country Program and Sector Program leadership in a portfolio of countries and sectors
- Support a portfolio of country & sectoral policy teams to identify, cultivate, and manage high impact policy opportunities.
- Provide guidance & proactive support to country policy & management teams in strategic events for policy purposes, including but not limited to summits, conferences, workshops, technical working groups, and round tables.
- Provide guidance to country policy teams & research management staff in executing the “Policy Impact Minimum Must Dos” and in identifying and stewarding high potential partner relationships, particularly with senior levels within government or large organizations.
- Provide other guidance to country teams to design & execute on their policy strategies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain compliance with all organization policies and procedures.
- Master’s degree in economics, development, international relations, public administration, public policy or a closely related field strongly preferred. Will accept additional experience in place of master’s.
- 5+ years of relevant experience analyzing and communicating complex research results to various audiences, including at least 1 year of experience working closely with large NGOs or governments, preferably in a developing country context.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience in the use of rigorous evidence for international development policy required.
- Exceptional ability to understand academic research studies and analyze bodies of research.
- Expertise in leading teams to draw policy lessons from these and communicating them to various audiences
- Excellent communication skills, including clear, precise, non-technical written and presentation skills; requires a strong written “voice” and ability to write in various voices as needed as well as effective spoken communication and presentation style.
- Proven ability to multitask and successfully complete projects on tight deadlines with little supervision.
- Willingness to work hard, be self-motivated, learn, and adapt quickly will be essential for doing well in this position.
- Experience supervising staff teams and managing multi-country projects
- Strong ability to manage up and across.
- Experience with IPA and/or partner institutions strongly preferred.
- Willingness to travel internationally (when it is safe to do so) up to 25% of time preferred.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org