Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the United Nations Resident Coordinator Office (RCO) in Colombia and reports to the UN Resident Coordinator (RC).
Within delegated authority, the Senior Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader will be responsible of the following duties:
Summary of Functions:
- Leads the provision of strategic guidance to the RC and UN Country Team (UNCT) on effective, quality and timely UN support for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda through the Common Country Analysis (CCA) and UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF);
- Initiates, establishes and coordinates external partnerships and joint resource mobilization efforts for the new generation UNSDCF;
- Coordinates the Business Operations Strategy and develops business innovations;
- Manages and directs knowledge management and capacity development activities in and outside the UN System;
- Leads and coordinates overall management of the RCO to ensure efficient and effective substantive coordination support to the RC/UNCT and adherence to organizational policies and procedures.
Description of Functions:
- Leads the provision of strategic guidance to the RC and UNCT of effective, quality and timely UN support for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda through a new generation CCA/UNSDCF
- Leads and coordinates substantive support to the RC/UNCT in articulating and actively communicating a credible and convincing strategic vision for the UN, articulated through the UNSDCF, which is consistent with national development goals and priorities, UN values, aligned with the 2030 Agenda and committed to the principles of universality, equality and leaving no one behind;
- Provides strategic direction and develops recommendations to facilitate decision-making by the RC/UNCT in relation to repositioning of the UN System in country, especially related to the Standard Operating Procedures for Delivering as One;
- Develops policy recommendations to the RC/UNCT on the development, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of the CCA/UNSCDF as the primary instrument for the planning and implementation of UN development activities in country;
- Ensures effective guidance to the RC/UNCT in asserting vision and accountability for the UN to operate as a nimble, innovative and enterprising development partner, demonstrating characteristics of a knowledge-based organization and thought leader;
- Leads the strategic design of UN’s policy and programmatic services, operational capabilities, and partnership mechanisms;
- Establishes and promotes close engagement across the humanitarian, development and peace domains, as required by the Colombian context where the UNCT also works with the UN Verification Mission, and the Humanitarian Advisory Team;
- Leads the identification, analysis and prioritization of joint programmatic work of UN entities in response to national priorities and in line with the UNSDCF and the 2030 Agenda, based on analysis carried out by the Sustainable Development Policy Advisor;
- Coordinates the UNSDCF and Joint Workplans; directs UNSDCF monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and reporting through UNINFO; guides preparation and provision of the annual One UN Country Results Report to the Government and other stakeholders;
- Promotes the engagement of all agencies – resident and non-resident - and other relevant UN entities, including at Headquarters and at the (sub-)regional level in inter-agency fora and in discussions with external partners;
- Ensures coherence in the different intra-agency coordination bodies, including with Humanitarian Country Teams and the Security Management Team, at the national and sub-national level.
Initiates, establishes and coordinates external partnerships and joint resource mobilization efforts for the UNSDCF:
- Initiates, establishes and coordinates effective working relationships with national and international public and private partners to ensure knowledge sharing in support of CCA/UNSDCF development, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Directs substantive support for positioning the UN as a key provider of integrated services and as a platform in support of the SDGs, in consultation with a broad range of stakeholders;
- In close collaboration with the Development Partnerships Officer, leads the formulation and implementation of the UN Partnership Strategy as well as the Resource Mobilization Strategy, and other initiatives in support of SDG achievement through the UNSDCF;
- Leads the design, formulation, implementation, monitoring and reporting of joint programming processes amongst UN entities;
- Based on UNSDCF and joint programmes, coordinates joint resource mobilization and partnering efforts at country level;
- Oversees strategic messaging and communication initiatives by RC/UNCT.
Coordinates the Business Operations Strategy and develops business innovations:
- In collaboration with the Operations Management Team (OMT), directs substantive support to the RC/UNCT on business innovations for the UN in country;
- Provides substantive direction in formulating, implementing and monitoring the UN Country Business Operations Strategy;
- Guides the OMT in implementing common premises, and in establishing a common back office for location-dependent services;
- Promotes a culture of continuous improvement and client-orientation in operational service delivery;
- Ensures effective guidance on the establishment of common services arrangements to participating organizations/agencies at the country level.
Manages and directs knowledge management and capacity development activities in- and outside the UN System:
- Coordinates the transfer of knowledge and effective communications across different UN and non-UN entities;
- Leads the sharing of best practices, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across the UN system and with external partners;
- Directs thematic activities and knowledge-sharing forums and encourages others to participate;
- Coordinates knowledge sharing (including through training and facilitating peer exchange) amongst UN staff on issues related to UN strategic planning frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Oversees the analysis of UN experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networking to contribute to strategic planning processes.
Leads and coordinates overall management of the RCO to ensure efficient and effective substantive coordination support to the RC/UNCT and adherence to organizational policies and procedures:
- Coordinates the formulation and implementation of the substantive work programme of the RCO; allocates and monitors RCO resources for delivery of outputs and reporting on results;
- Supervises the activities undertaken by the RCO, ensuring that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion;
- In close collaboration with UNDP, manages processes related to human and financial resource management, procurement, general administration, security, and information technology for the RCO;
- Manages, guides and trains staff under his/her supervision; promotes teamwork and communications among staff in the RCO and across organizational boundaries;
- Establishes and maintains a work environment in the RC Office and across UN entities that is conducive to innovation and engagement with a diverse set of stakeholders and delivers results in line with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Professionalism: Proven knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to sustainable development. Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment. Proven ability to analyze complex data and produce reports leading to sound policy recommendations for achieving sustainable development; Solid understanding of the political environment and the programmes and activities of the UN system in implementing the Sustainable Development Goals; Ability to think strategically, to identify key emerging sustainable development issues and related policy implications. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing;
- Judgment/Decision-making: Identifies key issues in complex situations, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, sustainable development, social sciences, education or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in strategic planning, sustainable development policy, project/programme management, or resource mobilization in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in both Spanish and English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org