The Senior Program Officer, Policy and Advocacy, China will have a significant role in developing and executing strategies for government relations and establishing partnerships and platforms to achieve the foundation’s policy and advocacy agenda in China.
The primary objective of this position is to enhance the effectiveness of the foundation's advocacy efforts and help manage risks and reputation by developing an integrated approach to engaging major partners in national and regional governments, development agencies, the private sector as well as the foundation’s policy and advocacy grantees to advance the foundation’s policy and advocacy agenda in China.
This position will report to the Deputy Director for Policy, Advocacy and Government relations China, and will be responsible for cultivating and managing strategic partnerships with key government organizations, individual advisors, influencers, leading institutes and think tanks to maximize the impact of the Foundation’s overarching policy goals in China.
The position will work also with colleagues across Global Health and Global Development in Global Policy and Advocacy, Communications, and Program Strategy teams to identify and execute on advocacy opportunities to leverage influence and resource to achieve high impact in major initiatives through effective facilitation of interactions with partners in China.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with major government organizations at central and regional levels, top think tanks and advisors;
- Support the Deputy Director of the Policy, Advocacy and Government relations to develop and implement China wide advocacy strategy with clear deliverables and milestones;
- Provide strategic advice to Deputy Director of the Policy, Advocacy and Government relations to design and review grants and contracts related to policy and advocacy initiatives in China;
- Lead selected policy and advocacy initiatives upon requests, produce policy papers, analysis, and briefings; cultivate local champions; identify, and establish advocacy pathways, organize high-level visits, and oversee follow-up implementation activities;
- Track partnership activities with key government entities, including MOFA, CIDCA, NDRC, MOF, MOFCOM, and MOST to explore effective approaches to global development;
- Provide wide government relations support to the team and the office with key partners on different initiatives, including but not limited to MARA, NHC, DRC, etc.;
- Collaborate with grantees and other partners to increase the impact of foundation projects and ensure grants are effectively targeted and executed to achieve strategic goals. This may include site visits, providing operational guidance and convening meetings of key stakeholders;
- Represent the foundation to key program-related external constituencies, as appropriate, on committees related to area of expertise and responsibilities of the position.
Core Knowledge & Skills:
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of governmental and administrative processes and structure in China pertinent to international development research, funding and policy making;
- Strong reputation and references for diplomatic skills and ability to work with diverse colleagues on problem identification and solving in complex internal and external operating environments;
- Demonstrated critical thinking, strong analytical skills, and capability to conceptualize, structure, negotiate, and manage projects/programs in a matrix team environment to advance advocacy and government relations objectives;
- Rich experience and demonstrated success in coordinating and working with a range of colleagues, consultants, and leaders in international organizations, government organizations, academia, and industry to achieve targeted outcomes;
- Proven ability to lead and influence others in a constructive manner and to build and sustain collaborative relationships;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to effectively produce high quality policy analysis and briefs to reach diverse audiences and build consensus;
- Strong public presentation skills, including ability to represent the Foundation at external events;
- An excellent teammate with innovative and open-minded approaches to all aspects of work;
- Superior judgment and ability to maintain professional, upbeat attitude under tight deadlines.
Education and Experience:
- Experience in government agencies or at large multinational corporation with minimum of 7+ years’ experience in senior government relations role; or Partner in major government relations or public affairs firm;
- MBA/EMBA or MPA would be preferred.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org