EBCD is an international environmental non-governmental organization (NGO) with the main objective to promote the conservation and sustainable use of natural renewable resources both in Europe and worldwide. It supports science based solutions, full stakeholder participation, due consideration for the socio-economic aspects and for cultural diversity.
EBCD is looking for a Marine & Fisheries Policy Officer to support the work of EBCD on marine and fisheries policy, both at the EU and international level. In close coordination with the International Affairs Advisor, the successful candidate will contribute to the work of EBCD towards advocating for clean, effectively managed and sustainable oceans. He or she will successfully contribute to EBCD’s public affairs activities bringing to the team an analytical eye, political acumen and the ability to easily grasp scientific and technical issues.
- Monitor and report on political developments regarding fisheries, aquaculture and marine issues, as well as other related issues such as Brexit, climate change and sustainable development;
- Attend and report on meetings of the European Parliament committees relevant to the work of EBCD (with a high emphasis on the Fisheries and Environment committees);
- Participate and represent EBCD in meetings of the Advisory Councils established under the Common Fisheries Policy and contribute to the advice-drafting process;
- Produce regular policy analysis, weekly press reviews, and monthly newsletters;
- Participate and represent EBCD in meetings of the EU institutions in relation to the marine environment;
- Follow developments in international organisations in relation to oceans s such as the Sustainable Development Goals, the negotiations on Biodiversity Beyond National Jurisdiction, the Convention on Biological Diversity, and the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.
- A relevant degree in political science, economics, environmental sciences, EU studies or similar;
- Experience in policy and communications functions with similar responsibilities, preferably acquired in an international organisation.
- Sound knowledge of the EU legislative processes and policy formulation in the European Parliament, Council and European Commission.
Required skills and competences
- Prior experience in or demonstrated interest in sustainable development and marine issues;
- Capacity to engage in public affairs and build/maintain a network of relevant contacts;
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to balance diverging demands and interests – ability to work in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment is a must;
- Ability to work in a clear and organised manner – both independently and in a team;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and an ability to communicate complicated messages clearly to different audiences, including through written materials and presentations; Knowledge of any other EU official language (French and Spanish in particular) is an asset;
- Flexible attitude and ability to identify opportunities and to work individually.
Required skills and competences
- A 1 year full-time contract with strong intention of renewal;
- A competitive NGO salary and a wide range of benefits;
- Exposure to a dynamic working environment and a chance to acquire further experience at the heart of environmental politics;
- The possibility to build a network and expand your knowledge in the context of EU public policy;
- The chance to travel and attend physical meetings, as allowed by Covid19-related measures
This post is located in Brussels, Belgium with a possible teleworking clause in conformity with the Belgian rules in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and CV to Mr. Jacopo Pasquero ([email protected]) by 23:59 CET Wednesday, 15 September. Please write “Fisheries Policy Officer – NAME SURNAME” in the subject of your email. Candidates will be invited for interview on a rolling basis.
Kindly note that only applications sent in English will be taken into account.
EBCD is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
More info here
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org