The Animal Health Officer (ECTAD Deputy Regional Manager) reports to the Senior Animal Health Officer (ECTAD Regional Manager for Asia and the Pacific), working in close collaboration with ECTAD RAP staff as well as with national programme counterparts
The Animal Health Officer (ECTAD Deputy Regional Manager) will be tasked to assist the ECTAD Regional Manager in the day-to-day management and oversee independently certain areas of work of the ECTAD programme at the regional level
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with FAO Strategic Objectives
• Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams, leads and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-divisional/office committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services;
• Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise;
• Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
• Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
• Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
· Contributes to the development of a medium to long-term strategic vision for ECTAD’s work in Asia consistent with global strategies in animal diseases or emerging infectious diseases (EIDs) that impact animal or public health.
• Provides supervisory and technical advice to the assigned FAO-ECTAD country programmes and projects related to the control of avian influenza and other high impact transboundary animal diseases (TADs) and zoonoses in Asia.
• Coordinates the smooth implementation of FAO-ECTAD regional and national projects, in collaboration with international and national consultants.
• Provides strategic guidance to the development of regional ECTAD programmes and supervises the preparation of regional and country proposals, ensuring compliance with FAO technical quality and standards for timely submission to donors.
• Ensures efficient delivery of project work plans, including timely provision of appropriate inputs such as organization of workshops and training programmes in liaison with appropriate FAO and national contacts at country levels.
• Coordinates and ensures the timely preparation of briefs and comprehensive reports as per FAO and donor requirements.
• Liaises with international organizations, such as the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE), World Health Organization (WHO) and FAO Reference Centres involved in policy and technical matters related to animal health, TADs and zoonoses control.
• Engages with regional organizations including relevant sections/units/working groups of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) to enhance their participation in regional approaches to disease control ensuring broad principles of the Global Framework for the Progressive Control of Transboundary Animal Diseases (GF-TADs) and other FAO platforms are applied.
• Organizes strategic and technical meetings that facilitate the exchange of information among country projects, sub-regions and other national/international organizations.
• Undertakes missions to the project countries to assist the ECTAD Country Team Leaders (CTLs) and Chief Technical Advisors (CTAs) and ensure good relationships with key government partners are developed and maintained.
• Leads the recruitment and supervises assigned personnel of FAO-ECTAD regional projects.
• Supports resource mobilization efforts for the regional ECTAD programme with financial resource partners, particularly in the formulation of concept notes and proposals.
• Promotes visibility of ECTAD with key development partners and target countries.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org