On February 1, 2021 the Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean was established in Panamá. From there we work with democratic institutions throughout Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region to increase the effectiveness and legitimacy of democracy, its institutions and to support gender equality in politics. Based on a geographic approach, our LAC programme responds to requests of regional, sub-regional and national actors, builds capacity through technical assistance, comparative applied knowledge resources and provides spaces for dialogue. The LAC programme is a significant partner and an agenda setter in many countries where it provides expert technical assistance.
The Project Financial Officer provides project management support, both financial/contractual and strategic planning for the Regional Office. The post holder supports a portfolio of projects and is a focal point for advice on the management of grants, budgets, contracts and procurement. The Project Financial Officer facilitates the annual strategic planning process, consolidates quarterly project/narrative reports and facilitates the risk management process.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the Director Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) Region in fundraising efforts, including the monitoring of call for proposals and opportunities, communication with donors and elaboration of project proposals;
- Ensures the submission of quality and timely work plans, financial reports, concept papers/funding proposals etc. from the LAC offices;
- Contributes to the design of LAC programmes/projects, work plans and budgets according to International IDEA policies, procedures and frameworks;
- Promotes application of International IDEA’s project management framework within LAC offices;
- Ensures project proposals and funding requests are prepared in conformity with International IDEA’s internal policies and procedures, including adequate costing of activities, human resource needs and administrative tasks;
- Tracks the financial progress of projects, providing project analysis, highlighting project expense and budget deviation;
- Monitors adherence to client agreement requirements within the framework of International IDEA’s internal policies and procedures, ensuring focus is on delivery of reporting, invoicing, and disbursement timelines;
- Guides overall compliance and quality control; arranges independent audits;
- Provides advice and support on matters related to public tendering and intellectual property;
- Reviews draft partnership agreements and consultant/supplier contracts; ensures compliance with International IDEA policies and procedures;
- Provides guidance and support to financial officers from national offices in respect to the management of grants, budgets, contracts, and procurement; Provides training and induction on International IDEA’s policies and procedures;
- Supports financial officers in the preparation of project expenditure reports for donors;
- Contributes to the design and implementation of LAC Programme work plans and budgets according to International IDEA procedures;
- Oversees compliance with Panama Government’s requirements derived from International IDEA’s status as an international organization;
- Serves as a liaison between LAC´s national offices and the Regional Office and between the Regional Office and Headquarters.
- Will contribute to assigned projects throughout the project life cycle, i.e., from project design and funding to project assessment; Will contribute to meetings and discussions, providing relevant input;
- Analyzes performance and identifies issues and trends affecting project funding; recommends the use of appropriate programme tools and strategies;
- Develops financial proposals and technical tools to address identified programme needs in the specialized area of project funds accounting;
- Is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism.
- Director Latin America and the Caribbean Region.
Education and Experience
- University degree in financial management, business management or other relevant discipline;
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in supporting programme/project design, finance, administration, and grant management functions, including planning, budgeting, costing, monitoring, implementation, and evaluation;
- Knowledge of award and contract regulations and reporting requirements of major donors advantageous;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g., in an intergovernmental organization, is considered an advantage;
- Fluency in written and oral English and Spanish is required; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would also be an asset.
Terms of Contract
- International Post;
- One (1) year fixed term appointment;
- Remuneration - EUR 4 581 NET per month + benefits.
- Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CET) 28th September 2021;
- You may apply directly by pressing the Apply Now button.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org