The Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences welcomes applications for a full-time, tenure track appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor of Political Science. Appointments are set to begin no later than August 2022.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Faculty typically teach 12 hours per semester (undergraduate), including a combination of service courses, upper-level offerings (including lab-based courses), and courses in their specialty area.
- Faculty are expected to engage in professional development and scholarly pursuits and involve undergraduate students in these endeavors.
- Faculty are expected to contribute to the department, University, and profession through appropriate service obligations, including the advising of students and committee service.
- Teach undergraduate political science courses as assigned.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory work, assignments, and papers.
- Collect and analyze data for program and university assessment.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations.
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Advise students on academic and vocational curricula and on career issues, to include internship placements.
- Develop and use multimedia course materials and other current technology, such as online courses.
- Perform administrative duties as needed.
- Collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist department chair with continual program development.
- Participate in unit meetings and other university-wide activities/committees.
- Other duties as outlined in the Faculty Handbook.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Doctorate preferred. ABD will be considered.
- Training, experience, and interest in political science.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and oral and written communication skills.
- Previous successful work experience with culturally diverse populations a plus.
- Cope effectively with adversity and demonstrate leadership skills that promote cooperation.
- Willingness to seek external funding/grants.
A Ph.D. in Political Science is required; ABDs with planned completion dates prior to Fall 2022 may also be considered. The specific area of focus within political science is public administration. Successful applicants will demonstrate evidence of research productivity and a clear commitment to excellence in teaching at the undergraduate level. Applicants with on-campus and online teaching experience in a range of Political Science courses are preferred.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org