Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is in the Policy Analysis and Monitoring Branch of the Office of the Special Adviser on Africa. The incumbent reports to the Chief of the Policy Analysis and Monitoring Branch through the Programme Management Officer (P4). The Office of the Special Adviser on Africa is responsible for providing integrated advice, promoting coherence, monitoring the implementation of commitments, and coordinating global advocacy in support of Africa’s development.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the planning, budgeting, development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects regarding the implementation of Agenda 2030 and the 2063 Agenda in Africa; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions, including through the day-to-day management of appropriate ICT platforms; conducts consistent quality control aspects of proposed activities and projects of the Office;
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Assists in policy development, with a particular focus on evidence-based policy making, and including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies of internal and external factors and risks that can impact the implementation of the programme/project.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities and supports the preparation of resource mobilization activities.
- Conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Supports decision-making processes through the performance of the abovementioned duties and responsibilities.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, management, economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in coordinating the preparation of programme or project proposals on the areas of peace, development, human rights and humanitarian affairs and in monitoring their implementation is required.
- Experience in the use of integrated information systems such as Umoja for programme planning budgeting, monitoring and evaluation is required.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org